xvi. Day Out

♡ Odette's POV ♡

I woke up with the strange urge to leave the beach house.

It was hard to explain, the need to be outside and get fresh air and feel the sand between my toes overriding my rational part of my brain that said I needed to stay in hiding.

But you couldn't keep me locked up forever in hiding, I was like a sparrow waiting to be released from the metal confinement of a cage.

I had been awake for a little while, first waking up terribly cold because a certain someone decided to hog all the blankets.

I turned my head to the side to see Zayn wrapped up in the sheets, shirtless and in a deep sleep. His inky hair was all mussed up, sticking up in some areas and matted down in others from him trying to get comfortable in his sleep. I sighed before pulling on the blankets, a little scowl forming on Zayn's face as he pulled back. I huffed as we played tug of war with the sheets, I was not going to deal with this all night.

I scooted closer to Zayn, another idea forming in my mind on how to reclaim my part of the blankets. I poked Zayn's cheeks with my fingertips, exhaustion making me heartless to his little groans of annoyance. However, my efforts weren't in vain, and soon Zayn's dark eyes opened.

"What is it Odette?" Zayn grumbled, turning his body so he was completely facing me, dark tattoos becoming visible on his chest. I didn't allow myself much time to stare before pulling on the blankets again.

"You keep stealing the blankets." I explained, Zayn huffing before releasing some of the warm blankets for me to use, turning back around right after. I thanked him before wrapping myself in the warmth, closing my eyes in an attempt to calm the need deep within me to go outside.

You have to stay in hiding, I kept repeating to myself.

I tried to go to sleep, but it was too late, I was already wide awake. I looked over at one of the clocks in the room, the hands pointing to 6:35 in the morning. I huffed in annoyance. I still had a bit before everyone woke up.

Suddenly, an idea occurred to me.

I had a bit before everyone woke up, if I snuck out for just a few moments, no one would know I was ever gone. I ached to be on the beach, maybe even to explore the little town nearby. I just had to get outside. If I waited until everyone was awake, then Zayn would definitely not let me go. His protective nature could get a little suffocating.

Biting my lip, I decided.

Checking to make sure Zayn was fast asleep, I carefully slipped out of bed. I didn't want to disturb his sleep. Besides, I was going to be back before he woke up anyway. I didn't think much of what I was going to wear, choosing some jeans, a pretty flowing peasant top and some little flats for shoes. Deciding it might be a little chilly outside since it was late September, I grabbed a dark grey pea coat, one that had a hood in case the cloudy sky decided to rain. Picking up my anchor ring from where I placed it last night on the bedside cabinet, I slipped it on quickly, pressing a quick kiss to Zayn's forehead before silently promising him I would be back.

I walked carefully down the hallways and stairs, not wanting to wake up anyone else. I smiled as I reached the front door of the beach house, my hand on the door knob when someone clearing their voice stopped me. I froze in place, disappointed I had made it so far, but still got caught.

"Where do you think you are going, Odette?" Seamus asked, his voice husky like he had just woken up. I turned around slowly, biting my lip in shame. Seamus was in his uniform, a cup of what looked like coffee in his hand to try and wake himself up. He had bags under his eyes, like he had been up all night protecting us. His hair was a little ruffeled, but I guess if you were Head of Security your top priority wasn't your appearance.