x. Coronation Day

♡ Odette's POV ♡

Delia's coronation day came faster than I anticipated. I was personally grateful for no more manner lessons, Miss Rita would no longer be making any more appearances in my life.

But there was one person who I wished would make one, but for an entirely different reason.

It would be the first time I would see Zayn since our screaming match in his room, and honestly I just wanted to get this coronation over with so I could go to my room and be by myself. I didn't want to look at or talk to Zayn, and I'm sure he felt the same about me. The only way we could work this out if he formally apologized to me. I wasn't going to accept any other wimpy way of trying to win my affection back.

Falene laid out for me another gown concealed by a black bag that morning, more than likely one similar to Zayn's sisters' dresses. I couldn't help but remember the old family portrait hanging in the room Zayn took me to so long ago, wondering if Zayn himself would be wearing the same uniform as in the painting.

Falene had continuously apologized to me over and over again about the drawing room incident, but I assured her it wasn't her fault. People made mistakes, I had simply made one of my own. Falene shouldn't have to take the blame for something I did, especially after the whole downfall Zayn and I were having now.

I said nothing as Falene did my hair and makeup, preferring to keep the easier silence in the room rather than having an awkward and forced conversation. My mind was still reeling from yesterday, Zayn had no right to say those things he said. His behavior then made me anxious for our inevitable meeting later in the day.

I tried distracting myself with the thrill of seeing Delia again, who I'm sure would make a perfect queen. She really was a lovely girl, maybe she could tell me how to work things out with Zayn, or even better, make Zayn apologize for the things he said.

I thanked Falene for my hair and makeup, watching as she picked up the black bag that contained the first dress the world would see me in.

"It's a showstopper, believe me. Not too fancy to upstage the crown princess of course, but a showstopper nonetheless." Falene offered me a small smile before beginning to unzip the dress bag. She stopped halfway, only allowing me a peek of wine-colored fabric before telling me to close my eyes. I found her actions humorous, but I complied, letting Falene slip me into the dress. The fabric was soft and smelled freshly cleaned, and it made me excited to see it.

Once Falene told me to open my eyes, I couldn't believe what I saw.

The whole dress was a deep wine color, very simple on the bottom but eye-catching on the top. The fabric draped beautifully into a huge ball gown, but it was the top of the gown I was fascinated with. The red fabric cut off at my waist, leading up into a nude-colored top, wine colored lace fabric accents providing the necessary coverage on my chest and extending out to my forearms.

It really was a showstopper.

Falene smiled at my astonishment, adjusting the swirling bun my hair was placed into so it didn't fall. I didn't need any jewelry, the dress was a statement as it was. With tears in my eyes, I turned and hugged Falene tightly, Falene fussing that my mascara was going to run if I started crying. I laughed at her worries before stepping outside my room, letting a younger guard escort me to the limousine that would take all the Maliks and myself to the coronation.

I noticed the young guard staring at me a little, a blush starting to heat my cheeks.

"Why're you staring at me?" I asked quietly, the guard immediately straightening up and clearing his throat, embarrassment clear on his face.