Chapter 27

Cry's P.O.V

The night was going a lot better than I'd imagined. Only a few people had mentioned the incident with the pictures but with Ken at my side I managed to get rid of them pretty quickly. I was reminded of how much I enjoyed working here. And I even managed to keep up my act without my mask. I'd broken it after I'd found the pictures and there was no point in getting a new one now. Everyone knew who was behind it.

I'd been away long enough for everything to settle down and it was almost like nothing had even happened. Most of the clients were too busy enjoying themselves to care. I don't think many even noticed me amongst the colourful strobe lights.

"What's wrong with Pewds then?" Ken asked as he leaned across me to grab the vodka bottle.

I handed a lady her drink from across the bar and quickly took her money. I don't know why, but a large chunk of me didn't want to tell Ken the real reason why Pewds was missing.

I pushed back the thoughts and turned towards my friend.

"He was drunk this morning," I murmured and lifted my eyes to look at him. He was staring at the cocktail he was making, but that didn't hide the frown from his face.

"You've been staying at his?" he asked, still focusing on the drink in front of him.

I shrugged. "Sometimes."

"Is he sleeping okay?"

He sounded so casual on the surface, as if he were asking me what I had for dinner, yet there was a certain edge to his voice that I'd never heard before. I was surprised, although I shouldn't be.

"I...I'm not sure. He said something last night. Said he was scared of sleeping," I answered, my words causing Ken to look up at me. He seemed somewhere else for a moment, but a few blinks brought him back to reality and he turned back to the drink, sliding it to a customer.

"Jennifer told me this would happen again," he sighed as he grabbed a towel to wipe his hands. "I can just see it now. See him doing something stupid. Why can't he just tell me when something's wrong? "

I watched as he made his way past me but I grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"What do you mean? Ken, he...he seemed fine, just a little drunk."

"Cry, everything is falling apart around us. I don't know how much he's told you but we're pretty much fucked. Pewds being sleep deprived and drunk, while all this is happening, is so far away from being 'fine'," he warned.  

 I gripped his arm tighter. "He's not stupid," I pressed, hoping my words would help contain my own worry.

"I could deal with him like this when... but not now. I'm sorry but you just don't know him like I do," he rushed, yanking his arm from me and turning away yet again.

"Where are you going?" I called. The customers irritated complaints became background noise. How could I think of serving them after what Ken had just said?

"I need to call Pewds!"

I had no choice then. No choice but to paste a smile onto my face and catch up with the line of customers that had been growing over the past few minutes. It seemed like Ken had only managed to convince me, and one other bartender I'd never met before, to come in today. Minx had the weekend off to spend with a girl she'd been seeing over the past couple of weeks but I have no idea where everyone else was. The club's been closed for days. I wouldn't be surprised if the other employees had just scrounged another night off work.

It doesn't help that it was one of the busiest nights of the week ; everyone wants to party on a Saturday night! It's usually me, Minx, Ken and Pewds who tend the bar tonight. But one was on holiday, one was drunk, and the other had just ran off to make a call.