Chapter 25

A/N: Hey Guys! I hope you've all had a great Easter if you celebrate it. Take this as my own Easter egg to you all =D 

Pewds' P.O.V

The days dragged on treacherously slowly after that.

At first, I found that Cry would disappear for hours. Then, I made my way over to his place, only to find Shy answering the door with a shrug, telling me that Cry had gone down to visit their Mother for a few days. Sure, I got a text every now and then, maybe a phone call off him if I was lucky, but for five worrying days I was left pacing my apartment at night, not having to worry about nightmares as much because I could hardly get to sleep.

A reel of haunting scenarios ran through my head; what if these mystery stalkers followed him to his Mothers? They already know where she lives considering they'd stolen the photos from her house, something Cry had been quick to inform me about. What if he hadn't even arrived at his Mothers? What if the stalkers had jumped him when he was on his way?

And the long days and late nights with Ken and Jennifer were proving to be fruitless. Ken couldn't find a single finger print on the photos, the CCTV footage from that night had somehow been corrupted, and, no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't gain contact with Marcus. Joe hadn't even heard from his Uncle in days. The fact that I'd turned to Joe for help, that I'd allowed myself to roll over to his club and practically beg for his cooperation was a sign of how panicked I was getting.

But then Cry came back from his trip and, thankfully, I found that his actions hadn't been a repeat of when he found out about my past career. He hadn't been intentionally avoiding me. He was just worried about his Mother, worried for her safety, although it seemed that she had no idea some of her old family photos had gone missing. How would she? Cry told me all their albums are kept in a box in the spare room, and hardly ever brought out.

"I'm sorry," he'd whispered the night he got back. I'd been laying, rather embarrassingly, with my head against his chest as we watched a crap movie on my old TV. "I made you promise not to leave and then I go and vanish without telling you."

I was half asleep when he'd said it, exhausted and ready to pass out from my lack of rest, but I was grateful that his words had brought me back to reality, and even more thankful that his grumbling stomach gave me an excuse to run to the nearest take-away and order us a midnight feast. Anything to keep me awake. Anything to keep me going.

But I couldn't stay awake forever; Something I discovered a few days later when I was jolted awake by my own screaming.

The hollow knocking on my door dragged me from the bathroom where I'd been splashing icy water over my face. Looking up into the mirror, I tried to ignore the dark bags under my eyes, and the red mark on my forehead where I'd bashed it, just moments ago, on the headboard of my bed. Hopefully everyone else will be able to ignore the obvious state I was falling into.

I shuffled through the living room and slowly unlocked my door, peering around the flaking wood to find the curl of cigarette smoke and the blotchy red cheeks that could only belong to Gully.

"Yes?" I asked, urging him to inform me of why he felt the need to disturb me.

He pulled the cigarette from his chapped lips, blowing an unnecessary amount of smoke into my face, before replying, "If you keep making so much noise in there then I'm going to be neck deep in complaints by noon."

"What? I've just woken up."

"Don't act like a dumb asshole. I could hear you screaming like an idiot on my patrol this morning. Knock it off or find a new place to live," he stated with a shrug.