Chapter 21

A/N: Hey Guys! I hope your all doing okay. Hopefully, most of you saw my message about being ill. Urgh, I had a terrible cold, but I'm starting to feel better so expect updates to return to normal. Only 3 days until the Christmas Holidays. I'm so excited! =D

Well, enjoy!

Cry’s P.O.V

I rushed straight to the club, almost forgetting to get dressed, and leaving the apartment with crinkled clothes and scruffy hair. My feet hurried me towards the large, brick building, laces half-tied and my head going over and over what Pewds had said to me last night.

Did he know about this? Or did someone know he was leaving and saw it as an opportunity to wreck his business? Why the hell did he trust me to look after the club? How am I supposed to deal with this?

I ran down the last road, heading straight for the side entrance, and fumbled around my pocket for the keys Pewds had given me. But there was no need to. The door was wide open.

“Minx?” I called as I stepped into the corridor. My hands grabbed for the door handle and I quickly locked it shut. I don’t want anyone stumbling upon the mess Minx had described to me.

From the corner of my eye I could see the basement door slightly ajar. It was hardly noticeable, and I wouldn’t have seen it if I hadn’t glanced over there, feeling myself warm as I remembered...

I hurried down but halted when I was met with the mess. There was alcohol spilt over the floor. Broken glass was shattered across the ground. A shelf shifted from its position against the wall. And when I searched behind it, I found four bricks tossed carelessly into the broken glass and an opened cupboard hidden within the wall, a small key still snug inside the lock. I don’t know what it was, but something just snapped inside of me. Before I could think about it, I was locking the cabinet shut, hiding the key in my pocket, shoving the bricks back into their place. I gripped onto the shelf and pulled it back to the wall, back to where it belonged. And when I stepped back, the only thing out of place was the few smashed bottles.

My mind was starting to dwell on the gym bag Pewds carried last night, how it was strapped carefully across his back, how he wouldn’t let me touch it, wouldn’t tell me what it was.

“Minx!” I yelled as I ran up the stairs. The sound of someone moving upstairs caught my attention and I hurried through the club, seeing it was perfectly fine. The bar was just as I’d left it. Everything was in its place. Except for the pool of water that was dripping down the staircase.

“I’m up here!” I shaky voice replied, and I was pulling myself up the slippery steps before they’d even finished calling me.

Water covered the wooden floor of the small hall leading to the office, and a shadowed figure stood at the doorway staring into the room. She grabbed my arm and we shared a quick glance.

The room was a mess. A draw had been pulled from Pewds’ desk, ruined papers scattered across the floor, glass dangerously disguised into the pool before us, and the tiny lifeless bodies of fish poked through the water. An empty fish tank. A wooden plank.