Chapter 20

A/N: Hey Guys! Sorry for the wait but it's coming up to the Christmas Holidays so I'll have more free time soon! That means more time to write and, hopefully, more updates. I know this chapter is a little shorter than usual but it's been too long and I wanted to give you all something as a thank you for your patience. I'll try not to take so long to update for the next one. A two week gap is too long for me! =D

Pewds’ P.O.V

The slam echoed around the deserted club. Only the sound of my leather shoes bashing against the cluttered wooden floors accompanied each slam of a door, each yank of a handle, each loud, exhausted breath that left my lips.

My legs were burning, my lungs tightening as I heaved for air. Memories of this familiar adrenaline flashed across my mind, bringing back images of morning sprints, of listening to a new job, of pointing a gun to the head of a man I’d never know.

I hadn’t gone on a morning sprint for awhile. I think I’ll need to start those up again.

The office door tore open, my fingers scraping along the glossy wood as I threw myself across the room. My feet had grown clumsy, almost numb from all the running, and I slid towards my desk. As soon as my knees hit the floor I grabbed one of the draws and yanked it straight off its hinges. The wood clattered to the ground, spilling paperwork, pens and odd rubbish onto the floor around me, but the only thing I paid attention to was the small, silver key taped to the wood. It had once been hidden by the draw, but now it was exposed for me to grab.

It felt too familiar in my hand, even though I’d only held the tiny key once before. I’d known something like this would happen when I taped it there.

A threat.

Years ago I’d thought it would be a threat on my own life...but this was much worse. A man could point a loaded gun to my head and I wouldn’t flinch but this made my hands shake violently.

A threat...on somebody I cared about; that was something I hadn’t seriously considered.

I ran back downstairs, across the dance floor, past the bar and into the back corridor. Biting the key between my teeth, I fumbled around my pockets for my own set of keys, and it took me far too long to shove the right one into the lock and push the door open. I almost fell as I rushed into the basement, and had to grab onto a very recognizable pillar to stop myself.

The tall shelf filled with bottles upon bottles of alcohol stood in front of me, and my teeth tightened around the key. It was enough to flood the whole basement...

But it was my answer.

I pushed myself forward, clasping the side of the shelf with both hands and heaving it towards me. The first bottles fell to the ground, smashing nosily and spilling strong liquor all over the stone floor. It was such a waste, such a loss. Thankfully, less than half fell, sparing the majority on the sturdy shelves.

I slipped behind the shelf, digging my fingers into the brickwork until I found the one I was looking for. The loose brick rocked as I grabbed it and pulled it out, along with three others that surrounded it. Soon, there was a square hole in the wall, displaying a small, locked cabinet hidden behind the brickwork.