Chapter 2

Pewds’ P.O.V

I slid across my apartment, turning the stereo a little louder as I danced around in nothing but some old black shorts. I caught sight of the forever growing stack of glasses in my kitchen and almost went to clean them until I realised I had much better things to do. I might call that girl....what was her name again? She always cleans when she comes here. I’ll have to see if I can find her number...I had nothing planned for tonight anyway. Well, I say nothing...

I should call Ken. He might need me down at the club tonight.

I slid to the balcony door open, allowing some air into the stuffy room but it was probably cooler inside than it was out. I stepped out, looking out over the city that surrounded me but I found myself distracted, my eyes looking up at the balcony on my right but on the floor above. Room 15, the room that new guy moved into. I’d hardly seen him around after he moved in two weeks ago, but when I did cross paths with him he’d look away, clearly trying to avoid me.

I’ve got to give it to him, he’s a good looking guy, way better looking than some of the guys I see down at the club but he seemed so...careful. I mean, come on, he thought it was odd that I drank in the morning. I wanted to shake him and yell ‘live a little!’ I bet I could loosen him up though...that’d be fun, give me something to do....a challenge.

Heading back inside, I threw some empty pizza boxes and cans off the sofa and managed to recover the phone from between the cushions, quickly ringing the number that would be imbedded into my mind forever.

The phone only rang twice before it was answered. 

“Pewds?”

“Hey, bro.”

“I was just about to call you. There’s a guy who’d been nagging me all morning for your number. He says...”

“Is he tall? Bit of a beard? Light hair?”

“Yeah, sounds about right.”

“...Don’t give it him...It was a one-time thing...”

“Pewds! No, I don’t want to hear about your sex life and I don’t want desperate assholes bugging me all morning either,” he sighed down the phone. I just laughed, not embarrassed at all...it was only human nature after all.

“I was wondering if you needed me at the club tonight.”

“Well, considering you own half the place and haven’t been down here all week, yeah, that would be good, Pewds.” His voice was laced with annoyance, sarcasm and impatience. Ken was so uptight sometimes; I wouldn’t be surprised if he suffered a heart attack soon. He had a point though. It was the middle of summer and the club must be damn busy. I should probably go down there more often...   

“Quit getting your pants in a twist, bro.  I’ll be down there,” I told him before hanging up and heading towards the shower. I might as well scrub up.

It wasn’t long before I was out the shower, a towel wrapped around my waist and another in my hand, rubbing my hair dry. I was just about to turn my stereo up even louder when an odd sound caught my attention.

Someone was knocking on my door.

Casually making my way to the door, I pulled it open, finding my tenant, Gully, standing outside. He looked more red-faced than usual and a lit cigarette hung from his mouth. I glanced at the  grubby white vest he wore, numerous food stains scattered along the greying fabric and emitting the strong smell of sweat and...