Confessions [20]

*Chapter 20: Confessions *

I looked at Hunter and smiled. "Sure," I said.

"Listen, I don't know how to tell you this," he began. He looked down at his lap and I felt him squeeze my hand gently.

"Hunter, are you OK? What's wrong?" I asked, suddenly becoming worried. I slid out of m side of the booth and into Hunter's. I took his face in my hands, forcing him to look at me.

He bit his lip as his eyes became full of worry.

"Hunter..." I said.

He shook his head. "I can't lose you, Ally. You're the best thing that ever happened to me," he said.

I shook my head. "You won't lose me. I'm right here, I promise," I said, pressing my lips to his. He kissed me back immediately. He kissed me hard, the taste of his lips making me go crazy. His lips lingered on mine for a few seconds before he pulled back.

When I opened my eyes, I saw that a tear was falling down his face as he stared at me. I immediately knew something was wrong.

"Ally, I love you," he said.

My breath caught in my throat. I never knew what it felt like to be loved, really. Brandon wasn't an actual boyfriend and everyone before him was just a crush.

But I guess it made sense. I hated school yet I still went everyday, knowing Hunter would be there. I thought about him 24/7. My mind was constantly thinking about him. Every time I saw him, butterflies entered my stomach out of nowhere and my heart sped up. When I kissed him, my mind went crazy and I felt like it was just us two. When I was in his arms, I felt safer than I'd ever felt before. He understood me like no one else and made up for everything Brandon hadn't given me.

I felt a tear fall down my cheek, too as I smiled at him. "I love you, too," I said. He pressed his lips to mine again, but this time, it was short. But even though it was short, I could feel all the emotions between us. Lust, love, need, passion, and lastly, sadness.

I frowned when Hunter pulled back. "But Ally, I meant what I told you that day at the beach."

My eyebrows pulled together as I thought about it. Suddenly those three deadly words came back into my mind to stab me again. But he couldn't mean that, right? Surely, he meant something else.

"I'm not him," Hunter finished, confirming my first guess.

I pulled back and took a deep breath, shaking my head.

"But, if you're not..." I said, trailing off. My eyes went wide in realization as Hunter nodded.

"Paul. It's him, isn't it? That's why he hates me," I said, thinking. My mind went back to the conversation we had earlier. I gasped, looking up to meet Hunter's eyes.

"So that's what he meant when I asked him if he knows what it feels like to lose something you need," I said, glancing back down at my lap as my world crashed in front of me.

I shook my head, not believing it. "But the guys- They said you were him."

Hunter shook his head. "It's the opposite Ally. Paul was the one but when he realized he was friend zoned and didn't have a chance because you seemed more attached to me, he tried harder. But when I got in that accident and you stayed at the hospital and didn't leave, he realized he couldn't do it anymore. So the guys decided that they'd say I was the one at the ball. That's why Paul's mad. It hurts him to see u together and although he's my brother and I knew him before you, I don't know. I mean, I love you, Ally, and I don't know what to do."