Prologue

The glass sphere shattered in her hand as she fell, the shards piercing through the flesh of her arm. The trail of blood should alarm her, is supposed to make her panic, however the wails of a new born baby ricocheted through the walls around her. These cries pierced the air, filling the whole room with agony. It made her forget the physical pain of her wounded arm.

"Where are you?" She spoke to the walls that were encased in a strange silver glow.

The cries surged through her, boundless and yet bountiful. Their resonance grated her heart and shattered her soul. It was fear for that child that made her move around in a dizzying frenzy. The desperation to find and save him alerting her to the maternal instinct she never knew existed within her.

"I'm here, my arms are open..." she was sobbing through the pain now. As if someone was raking through her heart, twisting it and yanking it from her chest. "...I'm here, but why can't I see you?"

It was torture, absolute agony, a suffering she'd never experienced throughout her life. The cries wouldn't stop and no matter how desperate she looked she couldn't find the missing child. She searched and searched, everywhere and anywhere, however, the walls kept expanding out of her reach.

The image of him was so clear in her mind. A small baby, just a new born, naked and cold, in need of her warmth, of her nurture, of her love.

"Why can't I see you? Why can't I hold you?" She slumped on the floor in defeat and sobbed for a long time, her cries mingling with his.

"I'm sorry...I have failed you. I have failed..." Her voiced echoed in a trail. She hugged knees together, her head falling in between them. As if to contain the shattering of her broken heart and soul. It dawned on her why she couldn't find the child, why she couldn't hold him, why she couldn't love him.

That child was lost to her...a part of her that had ceased from existence.