Chapter Thirty Three

Note: The following events maybe be exaggerated, falsified or corrupted based on the later retelling of both Kieran and Tom's sides of the story. I, Christine Evans take no ownership for the overall validity of this version of events (though I suppose it was my fault it ever happened at all).

*  *  *  *

Tom stood against the gate shuffling a deck of aged cards. They were in his bag in case there arose an opportunity to win some money or show off.

Thoughts ran rampant in his mind, thoughts he was unable to control. Emotions he was unable to control. A mind like that was dangerous.

How could she have dumped him like that? How could he have acted like that? How could he have just given up like that? What had come over him?

It was that sleaze bag Kieran’s fault.

Bastard.

He mixed the cards with visable annoyance. The edges collided and passed each other, over and over. Thomas Franklin walked passed and nodded a sympathetic hello. Tom returned it half-heartedly, controlling the urge to tell him where to shove his pity. As he looked around he saw Beth, Sophia, Mandy and Jude mucking about in front of the school. Chris wasn't present.

Tom figured Christine Evans would be somewhere in the school, trying to hide from her friends questions and the eyes of the school yard. They’d all know about what had happened. Gossiping was a sport. He couldn’t blame her for wanting to be out of sight.

Tom was staring down, mesmerised by the movements of the cards when Kieran idled past. If it hadn’t been for the brief chill that crept across his bare flesh he wouldn’t have noticed at all.

“Oi, Kieran,” Tom spat, hating the taste of the name in his mouth. Kieran whipped his head around, alert and curious. Tom was doubtless that Kieran knew about what had happened; it was clear in the curl of his lip.

“You said something?” Kieran questioned, taking his hands from his pockets. Tom wanted to punch the smirk from his face. No, he didn’t just want to punch it, he wanted to ruin it. Tom wanted blood, Kieran’s blood.

“Yeah I did and I’ve got quite a bit to say asshole and you're going to listen,” Tom replied, stepping a little closer to his opponent. Luckily for him, Tom was taller giving him dominance. A couple of centimetres were all he needed.

“What makes you so sure I can be bothered sticking around to hear what you’ve got to say?”

Tom didn’t like challenge in Kieran’s eyes but he was far from afraid.

“Because otherwise I’m going to make sure you’ll be looking over your shoulder every other second of every other day waiting for me to end you,” Tom growled. Much to his annoyance, Kieran laughed.

“What makes you think I don’t have to do that anyway?” Tom gritted his teeth.

“What makes you think it’s alright to buy my girlfriend expensive presents whenever you feel like it? What make you think it's acceptable to steal other people's girlfriends?” Tom took another threatening step towards Kieran, the rage erupting inside his veins.

“Actually, I hate to correct you but I believe the correct term is ex girlfriend,” Kieran said smirking up at Tom, menacing and spiteful. Tom glared down at him. That’s how he liked it, his prey quaking beneath him.

“No thanks to you. You couldn’t help yourself,” Tom shouted, ready to beat Kieran silly.

“I think I was doing her a favour,” Kieran argued, cockily gnashing his pearly white teeth. “I always have the girls’ interests at heart.”