Chapter Twenty Two

• Dedicated to Alice Motionn

I’d tossed and turned all night trying to figure out what would change if I became Tom’s girlfriend. Would Kieran hate me for it? Should I have cared?

Now as I walked in the rain beneath a yellow umberella, Beth clinging to arm I could not discern one thought from another. Beth's familiar blethering was a surprising comfort.

“Isn’t Nate just the kindest, handsomest, most intelligent guy ever? You know he called me as soon as he got in last night. He asked if I wanted to meet up after school today, go for a coffee or something. Of course I agreed straight away. We didn’t have plans did we?" She paused, but not long enough for a comprehensible reply. "I was sure we planned to go out tomorrow. I can always cancel if it was this afternoon,” she appealed.

“No it was tomorrow, no worries.” I assured her, knowing if we’d planned it for that afternoon I’d have changed it willingly. She liked Nate and I was happy for her. They were uncomplicated.

“Last night when we were sitting together Nate told me all about himself, his fears, his ambitions, his past. He is a really deep guy, you know. Everything with him is more than skin deep. How he can even consider going out with me is a mystery.” She sighed. I retrieved my bus pass and tapped her nose with it.

“Now even you know that's not true. You of all people deserve him,” I argued.  She snorted.

“You have to say that, you’re my best friend.” She knocked into me affectionately, the umbrella whirling.

It was true though, she was everything Nate, or any other sane man would want. If anything it startled me that Beth, being such an opposite to Nate, would fall for him. True, he was good looking, but even foolish Beth yearned for something deeper than that.

“Actually my task as a best friend is to tell you when your bum looks big in jeans. Right now my job as your friend is to tell you that you’re being ridiculous so stop it, alright?" I said, returning her nudge. She rolled her eyes, collasping the umbrella as the bus bowed and opened. We assented and retired to our seats.

“I hate feeling this way,” she moaned wistfully. “You know I can’t eat, sleep or even think properly.” I was almost shaking with laughter. This was so silly. “Then again I do like the butterflies I get in my tummy.” She patted her stomach and grinned. How could I despair with her around?

As Mandy joined us we speculated Jude's absence. Apparenty she was suffering food poisoning. I could not help but decide food poisioning was better than Jude starving herself. However, Mandy supposed she was sick with jealously. I disagreed, Jude was wise enough to anticipate Beth would talk of nothing but Nate and had spared herself the horror.

As the bus rounded the final bend leading up to my school I felt my gut tighten. I was hoping Tom would be there to meet me as I got off the bus. I chewed on my lip. Mandy noticed my uneasiness but said nothing. Beth was still rambling on about Nate and wasn’t aware I wasn’t listening. Shaking, I raked my hand through my hair and exhaled.

I could do this. I could do normal.

The moment bus came to a halt I was out of my seat and heading for the door. Mandy held Beth back knowingly. I heard Beth protest, her collar secured in Mandy’s grip. My mind was swimming, blocking out the confused cries from Beth, from within myself. I ran to the door and waited impatiently for it to hiss open.

He was waiting, A joyous smile crept across my face. I paused only for a second. Heart recklessly beating, breathing fast. I stepped down from the bus, placed my arms around his neck and pulled myself to his lips. Hungrily I kissed him. A surge of adrenaline and ecstasy filled my body, soul and mind. His kiss was sweet and intense, rough and warm.