Chapter Five

Edited Monday 25th May 2020.

Newcomer Sophia was, by all accounts, perfectly ordinary to the unassuming eye. Unfortunately I was not psychologically fit to be anything but assuming. There was nothing to be considered sinister in her well meaning smiles or polite conversation but everything to be cautious of in her cold, indigo-eyes. I was convinced, watching her seamlessly integrate with Jude, Mandy and Beth before the close of registration that I would be outnumbered in my unpopular and unfounded opinion.

So, it came as a shock that by lunchtime Mandy had already composed a case against the unsuspecting Sophia, currently stuck in the cafeteria queue.

"If it wasn't for witnessing it first hand, I wouldn't have believed it," Mandy began as she unpacked her lunch of cheese and chutney sandwiches. "Ms. Bremner said she should consider emphasising the focal point of her composition with red, highlighting outline but Sophie wouldn't touch the pen she was offered. It was like she thought the ink was contaminated" Mandy whispered, peering over her shoulder to check Sophia was still out of earshot.

"It's not strange to have an irrational phobia if that's what this is about. My brother refuses to use sponges, he doesn't like the feel of them," Jude said biting into an apple. "Or more likely, her picture looked fine as it was and Ms. Bremner was talking nonsense. How Ms. B qualified as an art teacher I do not know." Beth didn't care much for what Jude had to say, not when she was so disgusted by the spectacle of her talking with her mouthful.

"What animal raised you?" Beth muttered. Jude ignored her, taking another bite before finishing her previous one.

"I'd agree with you Jude, if Sophia hadn't made a scene in R.M.E. She argued with Mr. Bain, shouting that religious studies was a waste of time and then stormed out all because she was asked to write on the board in a red pen and offered no alternative."

"Well, it could be something in the ink." Jude argued, artfully managing to keep all apple flesh and juices in her mouth.

"That's what I thought even if it was already a stretch," Mandy snapped, throwing down her sandwich. "Until in biology she refused to dissect the pig's heart because she didn't want to chance getting the blood on her hands. That's three out of the four classes we've had that she's made a fuss with no logical explanation," Mandy pressed. "I'm beginning to think she got kicked out of her last school. It would make sense considering the weird timing of her transfer, don't you think?"

I wasn't about to argue. Mandy might not have the same grievances as I did but that didn't mean her misgivings couldn't work in my favour. Sophia was more than the character she was playing and I was glad to have company in the camp that thought so.

"Give her a break Mandy it's her first day in a new school in less than ideal circumstances. Besides we all know I let Thomas do all the dirty work for me in biology so who would I be to judge?" Beth protested, spooning the last drops of her yoghurt into her mouth.

"That's not all the dirty work you let Thomas do for you," Jude leered, her eyes widening innocently as she reached into her backpack for another snack. Beth kicked her sharply under the table. Jude winced. But no more could be said on that matter as Sophia was on her way over.

"Play nice," Beth hissed, staring pointedly at Mandy but also at Jude and I for effect. Sophia placed herself between Mandy and I. On her lunch tray she had chips, a leafy salad and a bottle of water. She, oblivious to our reservations, smiled and picked up a chip.

"Sure you don't want any tomato sauce on those?" Jude said, preemptively chucking over a untouched sachet from my tray. Sophia scrunched her nose up and looked at the condiment packet nervously.