Chapter Twenty Three

• Dedicated to Morven Mcleod

Tom was waiting for me as promised at lunchtime. I said my goodbyes to Mandy and Beth before taking a deep breath and strolling into the crook of Tom’s arm. Be cool, be normal and think girlfriend. 

“How about we take my new bike for a spin before going to my place?” I squinted at him. I knew he’d been learning, he’d turned seventeen in January but I hadn’t realised he’d passed already. I was awash with the fear of God. 

“No way, seriously?” He led me into the alley at the side of the school, the alley Devon had dragged me into. I shivered.

The beast was fiery red. The sharp peeks and smooth curves defined its mechanical magnificence. How he’d managed to muster himself such a majestic beast, I didn't want to know. The corner of Tom's lip curled as I stroked the sweeping lines of the bike.

“So what do you think?” Tom enquired, perching himself casually on the saddle. He fondled the handle bars seductively.

“It’s incredible. How did you ever bribe your mum and dad out of this one?” His expression was menacing, dangerous.

“I have my ways.” He stood and pulled me swiftly to his torso. “Would you like to go for a spin?”

“If you think for one second I’m getting on that thing you-” Tom pressed his lips to mine. I froze. He chuckled.

“Don't you trust me?” he whispered against my lips. I swallowed. He wound his hands with mine. He was so careful with me. How could I doubt him?

“I do.” I glimpsed at him through my lashes. He let go of one of my hands and reached behind him. I squinted at him. What was he up to?

“One more thing. I was almost sure you’d look cute in Callie’s helmet so I brought that too. Can’t let you ride without a helmet now can we?”  He offered me the jet black helmet. Had he been planning to invite me over regardless of me pouncing on him or had Mandy told him to anticipate it?

“Cute? This is your definition of cute?” I scoffed. Accepting it from him I pulled it over my head. Satisfied, Tom swung himself onto his bike, bringing me gently with him. Tom pulled my hands boldly around his waist.

“You have to hold tight, health and safety.” I tightened my grip and slid further into the seat. Tom put on his helmet and then revved the engine. Teasing my anticipation, Tom kicked off gently and I awaited the thrill of speed. 

Once we were out of the alley we were flying. I turned to look at the surprised faces of Mandy and Beth as we raced past them and I could feel the vibrations of Tom’s chuckle through his jacket.

I spotted Kieran. He was smiling, if only half heartedly. I didn’t dare remove my grasp from Tom’s waist to wave even though I wanted to, deeply. I nestled into Tom’s back and contented myself.

Leave Indigo Boy behind Evans. 

The world zoomed past in a blur of colour and noise. I’d only ever seen the world from cars and buses, on a motorbike was better. Adrenaline polluted my veins and fed my soul. The feeling of freedom was immense. I could stretch out my arms and fall into the unknown. 

Tom lived in an apartment near Leith. It was newly built, large and spacious, too grand for anyone from my parts. His parents Carol and Lucas were rich, filthy rich and Tom was a child of luxury.

We were almost there and I was reeling from the adrenaline - it was like nothing I’d ever experienced before.  It was laughable how something so ordinary marvelled me but I couldn't help but succumb to the splendour of it.

The bike came to a stop and Tom gently slid from my arms. I unclipped my helmet and slipped it off. I felt my hair settle in a mess around my face. I blushed.