Chapter Twenty Seven

Sophia and I were not on speaking terms the next day and for good reason. I had concluded she’d taken it too far when she’d reeled my family into her mind games. Who was she to use my family for fuel in her tantrum?

Beth, Mandy and Jude tried to be neutral but couldn’t help their favour for Sophia. I had physically harmed her whereas she had verbally injured me, my pain went unseen.

Throughout the following day Sophia purposefully shot me venomous glares and triumphant smirks when the others weren't looking. Who would have thought someone so quiet could be so malicious?

It had been a relief to make it through a tedious period of art without a contemptible lecture from Beth. She had been placed across the classroom facing the other direction for causing a disruption in the previous lesson.   

Kieran, however, sat opposite me. He seemed somewhat conflicted. I questioned him with curiousity. Please say he did not hate me too. 

Kieran looked apprehensively across the classroom at our occupied teacher. He then secured my full attention before scribbling on a scrap of paper.

Soon enough Kieran was sliding the paper towards me. I scanned the room for onlookers, the other pupils at our table remained oblivious, before reading the message:

Did you slap Soph last night?

I peered up from the note guilty. He didn’t look angry, merely amused. His eyes dropped suddenly, but only to scribble something else on a scrap piece of paper:

Why?

The simple three letter word had so many answers; some I wasn’t prepared to share with him. 

She insulted my family so I hit her.

I passed him the note before returning to polish off my work. However, a couple seconds later he was thrusting me another note:

Just ignore her. Soph enjoys playing mind games. Take my advice. Learn the rules and play her at her own game. You’ve got a good hand, play your cards right.

Glancing up from the note I received a cheeky wink. Was Kieran the ace? I rolled my eyes and went back to my work without another word.

Kieran and I escaped to the library at lunchtime. There was no justice in the way Beth, Jude and Mandy were treating me. But Kieran, he let me sit and read contently to myself no questions asked while he sketched. He held caressed the bound notebook I had first seen him with. I knew better than to ask what it contained. 

Suddendly Kieran’s satchel vibrated. I peered over the top novel I was reading. He removed his phone from his bag and read the screen. As he read over it countless times his face grew darker. I knew exactly what was going on. Kieran held the phone to his ear.

“Meet me at the front gates in two.” Kieran disconnected, groaning. He turned to question me beseechingly.

“You have to go?" I sighed. He nodded solemnly.

“Do me a favour Chris. Don’t watch the news while I’m gone, you’ll only worry.” He smirked before rising to his feet. Looking into his pained indigo eyes I was in no way envious of Kieran. His job was a living Hell.

Kieran squeezed my shoulder before disappearing in the blink of an eye.

As I made my way, alone, out of the library Beth, Jude and Mandy came parading around the corner.

“There you are! We’ve been looking everywhere for you!” Beth complained. At least she was talking to me.

“Why? What’s the matter?” I asked.