Rae to the Rescue

I sat on the floor, leaning up against the couch Ricky was laying on. Ghost had put on a movie for Ricky and I - Sweeney Todd. I laughed, it was so typical of Ghost.

"Is it supposed to hurt this bad?" Ricky asked me, hoping I'd have a good answer.
"You know Rick, I'm not sure. It's pretty swollen - you sprained it pretty good. I'm hoping that the ice will take the swelling down and you'll feel better." I said, begging that he could outlast the pain and that I wouldn't have to give him medication.

Ricky sighed, trying to relax but I could see that he was in immense pain. I told myself I'd give it another 45 minutes. If it wasn't better, I'd give him an IV. Until then, I'd just try to keep him as comfortable as possible. I went to his bunk, got his blanket and brought it back, covering him up. I felt so bad for him.

About 10 minutes had passed. "Rae," Ricky said, his eyes welling up with tears, "it's hurting so bad." His voice trailed off and he turned his head the other way, letting the tears come down his cheeks.

"Ok, I'll call Chris to come help us and I'll give you something," I said softly, pushing the hair out of Ricky's face and drying his tears. I'd never seen him cry before, it was different but it just proved to me that he's sensitive.

I picked up my iPhone, "Chris, I need you here ASAP. Ricky is requesting medication and I'm gonna need a nurse to help, haha."
Chris said the only words that I needed to hear, "be right there."

Within a couple moments, Chris opened the door and walked over. I was digging through my bag, trying to find an IV kit and the correct medications. I took out a bunch of stuff and began setting it on the couch beside Ricky. "Wash your hands, babe, you're gonna have to help me."

I passed Chris a set of gloves and he put them on, as did I. I prepared all my equipment and got Chris to tie off Ricky's arm while I did so. Since Ricky was already so skinny, finding a vein was incredibly easy, "okay, just a quick poke and its all done," I reassured him.

"On the count of three: one... two... three..." Ricky winced as I quickly plunged the needle into his arm, set up the IV and wiped off the bit of blood.

"Please tell me you're done," Rick said, taking a deep breath.
"Yep that's all, she's done Rick." Chris reached over and squeezed Ricky's shoulder.

I measured the meds and out them into the IV. "Let's give it about 10 minutes and you're gonna feel better." Chris went back out to let the guys know what's going on and I sat beside Ricky, monitoring him.

Within a couple minutes, Ricky still hadn't said much but I could tell he as feeling a bit better because I could visibly see that his muscles were relaxed and he wasn't so uptight. "The swelling should start going down soon, I hope you're feeling a bit better."

"Believe me, I am." Rick said.

"Well, your show is in three hours but I think it's safe to say you'll be sitting this one out..." I said, trying to break it to him gently.

He lifted his head, slightly agitated, "there is no way I am letting them put my parts on a track for tonight. I am playing them, unless someone else can."

"No problem, I'll tell Butcher, your tech, to stand in the wings and play them." I said, trying to quickly solve the issue before getting Ricky upset again.

"He doesn't play them well. No way. You used to play guitar, didn't you Rae?" He questioned.

"Kinda, through high school, but I was never good." I answered, hoping he didn't have the idea I thought he did. But of course, in true Ricky fashion, he had an idea.

"Doesn't matter. Go get Ryan and tell him to teach you my parts because you're playing them in three hours." Ricky said as my head started spinning.