Oxy

I should have been dead. But somehow I was still here. I regained consciousness hours later, waking up in a hospital bed, my guts aching. There was an ache coming from my stomach, it felt like I had been punched. 

I opened my eyes. "Rae, Rae oh my god, you're awake," Chris exclaimed. 

I groaned, staring at him, my eyes dull and lifeless. "Unfortunately." 

"Don't you dare say that, I'm so thankful you're here. I need you in my life." Chris said. 

"Ok ok, so when can we leave?" I asked, "She's out there and she'll find me." 

"Oh no she won't, she won't get anywhere near you. The police are looking and they will find her." Chris explained, "I gave them all the details and they're busy looking for her. I promise they will get her and she will be locked away." 

I groaned again, "sure, she'll be out soon enough. So when can I leave?"

"Doctor says you can be released tomorrow but you'll have to take it easy. No working, only relaxing. And don't worry, I will do everything in my power to protect you. No one will hurt you." 

I just wanted to fall back to sleep, I wanted to be numb. I wanted to feel nothing. I still wished I was dead. 

NEXT MORNING

"Alright Rae, you ready to get going?" said a very tired Chris. He had stayed up all night to be with me and make sure She didn't come to get me. 

I nodded, "yeah, let's go." 

The tour bus came and parked out front of the hospital, I got in and immediately sat down on the couch. The laceration on my stomach ached, it felt like the stitches were tearing every time I took a deep breath. I needed my painkillers the doctor prescribed. 

"Chris I need my meds," I whimpered. 

Chris handed me the tiny white pill. I tossed it into my mouth, quickly tilting my head back and swallowing it. 

Ah the relief, my body went numb. I lied on the couch, letting this wave of calm wash over me. My muscles relaxed, I felt floaty. I fell asleep. 

I woke up hours later. The pills worked magic. I was worried because they were OxyContin which is known to be highly addictive. But as long as I was in pain, and they helped, I had nothing to worry about. 

The pain came back... I popped another pill. The trance continued, I felt good. 

Days later and I was still in pain, I kept popping the pills. I was like a zombie. "Rae, are you alright? You shouldn't be in pain still." Chris said, concerned by my behaviour. 

"Yeah yeah I am all good, just my laceration still hurts. The pills make it better though." I said, my words slurring slightly. 

"I think we need to take you back to a doctor. You don't seem to be feeling any better..." 

"No no, I'll be fine. I swear." I popped a couple more pills and fell back asleep in my bunk.