Bang Your Head

"Wake up!" Chris flung himself out of bed and turned on the bedroom light. Gently shaking me, I woke up to see his face coming in for a kiss. He looked like a kid in a candy store; thrilled to be alive. After a cheeky little make out session, Chris dragged me into the kitchen and poured us both a gigantic cup of coffee.

I wasn't much of a morning person until I had some time to wake up. You'd think that after making out with Chris and the excitement of tour that I'd be wide awake but no. Just a couple sips into my coffe and the phone was already ringing. It was Angelo saying that the van would be at our door in 20 minutes and that we better be ready cause we had a 7 hour drive.

Chris and I made our way down the hallway to the elevator and to the lobby of the apartment building, waiting for our ride. Butterflies fluttered in my stomach and I thought I was going to throw up. I was anxious to get going. I was packed and ready to get going - get working I should say. When Angelo pulled up, he already had Ryan, Ricky, Ghost, and Balz in the van. Chris took my bag along with his own and loaded them into the trailer. He knew the ropes. I waited on his every word, seeing as I had never been around any sort of touring band or actually had a job other than working the drive through at McDonalds.

The side door of the van flung open and all the guys were stoked. Angelo was driving for the first half and Ryan would be the copilot. They'd switch later. "You're last to be picked up," Balz shouted, "into the back row ya go!"

I couldn't help but laugh, I couldn't figure out what was so bad about the row. Chris seemed bummed. I hopped in and assumed my position where I was told to sit. The Ghost Inside's new cd was cranked on the stereo and Angelo pulled out of the apartment complex and onto the road. We were finally going somewhere.

"So Rae, have you ever sold merch before?" Ryan asked.

"No, it's a totally new thing for me," I said quietly.

"Not a big deal," Balz chimed in. "All you do is set up the merch booth and sell the shirts and shit."

"I think I can handle it."

"You'll be fine babe," Chris said as he placed his hand on my leg and squeezed. It would be fun. It wouldn't be too hard.

"So are you familiar with tour rules?" Ricky asked.

I panicked. "Ther... There's rules?" Shit. I stuttered.

"Well, yeah." Ricky explained. "Here's the three main ones for ya. One: wear your tour pass at all times. If security sees you with us and you don't have it, you'll get kicked out. Two: always be aware of what's going on. Some kids can get pretty crazy and you need to stay safe as well as help keep the kids safe. And finally, just remember that you represent us while you're on tour. Please, just make smart choices and don't do anything stupid."

I smiled. The rules seemed easy. I could handle it. "Sounds good. I got it."

After an agonizing seven hours in the van, we were ready for load in. I realized why the back of the van sucks as well: the air conditioner doesn't even reach back here. It's a summer tour and it's hot. Ugh.

Chris tried to guide me and instructed me to carry all the boxes of merch into the venue and set up my table. Thank god for the dolly they brought, otherwise I'd have to make quite a few trips. 20 boxes of merch needed to be brought in and organized.

I neatly set it up and waited for the show to start. I was quietly sitting in my chair and waiting when Ricky came out. "Dude! There's amps and other shit that's not gonna carry itself!"

A little stunned, I realized that I wasn't just merch girl, apparently I was a roadie. "Yeah, no problem." I walked back to the van and Ryan handed me two amp heads to carry in. I brought them in and came out to collect more. I pushed Ricky's road case loaded with guitars into the venue by myself. My back was killing me and my arms ached.

When the gear was all inside, I retreated back to my table. The venue was supposed to open in 15 minutes. Chris came back to the table before he went backstage. "Good luck tonight, and please please please, do your best. If anything gets out of hand, just scream for security. I've already told them to keep an eye on you." He planted a kiss on my cheek and went into the depths of the venue.

As soon as the doors opened, kids flooded my table. Everyone wanted something and I could barely keep up. It's was stressful, but being merch girl was the only way to ensure I could stay with Chris.

The boys were on fire and put on an incredible show. My boyfriend was a star and I was a lucky girl. By midnight I had my stuff packed back up and we loaded the gear back into the van. I was ready to sleep but it wasn't happening.

"Hey Rae!"

I turned and Angelo tossed me the van keys... Apparently I was driving the night shift: 12 hours to Florida. Oh joy. Balz was gonna copilot for me.

I figured now really wouldn't be a good time to tell them that I had never driven a van with a trailer.

I cautiously got in the drivers seat and adjusted everything, took a deep breath and pulled out onto the road.

Wow. I was a crew member. My sleep cycle was about to be destroyed. I wasn't religious, but I quickly said a prayer in hopes it would help me stay safe on the nighttime drive.

Shit, I was hoping it would go well.