Life on the Road

Chris had just given me the conformation I had always longed for - that I meant something to somone. I was safe in his arms and at ease. My fears couldn't get me. The demons that had once tried to kill me couldn't anymore. Nothing could get me.

All my life I'd prayed and prayed that someone would come along and make me feel like my life was worth more than everyone told me. A new chapter in my life had started and I was happy. Boy was I ever goddamn happy.

The MIW stage manager came and found the guys. It was time to load in and get ready to soundcheck. Chris reluctantly let go of me and I was sent on my way to grab the gear.

I was part of Chris's personal life, but I was also part of the crew. I couldn't let our relationship get in the way of business, so I knew I was crew first, girlfriend second. I was okay with this cause I knew I had to appease everyone in order to be able to stay with Chris.

I arrived at the trailer, grabbing a road case loaded with some of Ricky, Ryan and Devin's guitars. I wasn't as strong as the boys that worked as roadies, so I had to work much harder to get the cases from the trailer to the stage. My legs burned as I pushed the road case, and my arms felt like spaghetti. By the time I dragged the third case to the stage, I was sweating profusely, struggling to stand.

"Hey Rae, there's three guitars that need to be restrung, think you have time to quicky do that?" Butcher, the MIW tech said.

"Sure thing!" I called. Anything to get me out of pushing road cases. I hopped up onto the stool by the bench where the guitars were. Butcher handed me a few packs on strings and pointed out the guitars that needed to be done.

I grabbed the first one - Ryan's black Ibanez. Hauling it up onto the bench, I began cutting the old strings loose and replacing them with fresh, new ones.

I'd always enjoyed guitars and I used to play at home a bit. My first job was at a small mom and pop guitar shop where I used to restring guitars all the time. I tried to make sure my work on MIW's guitars was immaculate. I was always nervous that I would mess something up or not secure a string right and that would make someone mess up.

Either way, I always agreed to do what Butcher wanted becuase I wanted to learn more about the instument I had once dearly loved.

I quickly finished up the guitars just in time for soundcheck.

The boys appeared side-stage and came to collect their instuments. I began to pass out guitars, putting the strap over each boy's head as they walked by.

"Thanks babe," Devin said, blowing me a cheeky kiss.

I giggled, turning around to see Chris hurling a shoe into the back of Devin's head. Chris laughed, "she's mine, bitch."

Unsure whether to laugh more or shut up, I decided to shut up and sneak away before Chris really caused a scene.

I moved to my merch booth and waited for the doors to open. It was kinda fun to chat with people at my booth and I enjoyed representing my boyfriend. It was gonna be a long night though. Oh man was it ever.