To the Stage

My heart raced as it sank in. Ricky was sitting this one out and he wanted me to play his parts. I fought the urge to vomit.

I hesitantly walked into the venue to find Ryan. He was tossing a football around with Chris in the dressing room. "Hey Ryan, Ricky needs to rest tonight and he's told me to come find you because he wants me to play his parts tonight."

Chris's jaw dropped, "he what? Thats awesome babe! It'll be incredible to have you on stage with me."

"Yeah, that's exactly what I wanted to talk to you guys about... I don't want to do it. I don't understand why Butcher can't stand in the wings and play? He's much more talented than me and I just don't think I can do it."

"That's absolute bullshit. Ryan, teach her the fucking parts. She will be stage right tonight." Chris demanded.

"Alright Rae, let's go learn this shit, shall we?" Ryan sighed.

My stomach was in knots, "come on, I can't do this. Besides, I haven't picked up a guitar in over 3 years."

"Well then you better get your shit together in a hurry," Ryan said, grabbing me by the arm and pulling me into the wings of the venue where Ricky's guitars were.

He flung open Ricky's road case, pulled out a matte black Ibanez, and promptly put the strap over my head. He then unlatched the lock on his own road case, pulling out a similar Ibanez. "Ok, try and think in the key of C. We will start with 'Abigail' which is played in the drop B tuning which is really just the key of C."

"Uh alright. I'm ready." I said, tentatively plucking away, trying to warm up after three years. Although I was rusty at first, my abilities quickly came back. Ryan helped me through a warmup and then we went through Ricky's parts.

Within an hour I was back up to speed with my sweep picking, arpeggios and had vaguely learned all the parts Ricky plays. "That was good, thanks Ryan. Do you actually think I can do this? I don't want to be a failure and embarrass anyone..."

Ryan smiled, "you're way fucking better than I was expecting. I'm actually really impressed. You're gonna kill it tonight. Keep practicing and call me on your radio if you need help." He put his guitar back in the case and walked away, leaving me to continue to practice.

I stayed for another 30 minutes then got up to find Chris. "Hi babe," I kissed him on the cheek. My stomach churned again, "oh my god, I have no stage outfit or anything!" I said to Chris, freaking out.

"Oh right..." Chris turned, "lets go check on Ricky so you can see how he's doing and update him on your progress."

I opened the door, and sat down beside Ricky. He seemed comfortable and in less pain than before which was definitely good but because his ankle was still so swollen, he needed to stay off it. "Well you're looking much better," I exclaimed. "I just wanted to update you on my progress. I have learned all your parts and Ryan said I'm pretty good. I hope i can do you justice tonight."

High on a cocktail of painkillers, Rick's response was simple, "thats good."

Chris quickly jumped in, "but you know, Rae doesn't have a stage outfit or anything and you're about the same size as her, so I was thinking she should wear your stage vest."

"Sure, thats fine."

"Oh alright," I was kinda honoured he said yes to that.

By this time, it was already 7pm and MIW was on at 9. "Alright babe, let me help you get painted up."

It was just Chris and I in the dressing room, so I stripped off my clothes and put on a pushup bra, my tightest skinny jeans, and decided on no shirt, just Ricky's vest over my bra.

"Damn babe, just when I though you couldn't get any hotter, "Chris said, giving my butt a smack. "Get that sexy body over here and let me paint it."

The jet black paint covered my porcelain skin like the dark steals away the sunlight. Chris painted my neck, arms and even what little cleavage I had showing. I hate to say it, but I actually loved the paint, and the idea of becoming a character.

Promtly at 9pm, the boys took the stage. I waited quietly stage right, my stomach doing flips. The crowd was roaring and rowdy. Chris ripped the mic from the mic stand, "alright, you may notice Ricky isn't here. He's resting his ankle. But we have a special guest tonight. My girlfriend is a pretty sweet guitarist so she will be up here for Ricky tonight."

I stood side stage, unaware that was my cue to walk on. Butcher walked over and gave me a little shove onto the MIW stage. Oh my god.