Ghost In The Mirror

"You were a mistake!" screamed my mother. We fight every single day over just abut everything, but today my mother had had enough. She was tired of fighting, and apparently, tired of me. I ran to my room to escape her never ending, nasty insults.

I slammed my door shut harder than I ever had and was quick to twist the lock so that she couldn't get in. I flopped down onto my bed while hot tears poured down my cheeks and began to stain my shirt. I was so angry at my mother. How could she just look me in the eyes and say I was a mistake? If she didn't want me, why didn't she have an abortion? I hate her, but it's okay, I know she hates me too.

That was the first night I got the courage to pick up a razor blade. I wasn't scared because I knew some of my friends cut themselves too. They say it offered them relief from the outside world, and that's all I wanted. With that thought in mind, I pressed the cold steel blade into my wrist. Blood began to pour out and run down my arm. I cleaned all the blood up and just payed flat on my back in my bed. The relief I felt was incredible. As soon as I had cut into my wrist my problems faded away and I felt immediately disconnected from the outside world. It truly was the best thing I'd ever done, and I felt so much better afterwards. Content with myself, I drifted off the sleep.

The next morning I woke to find the house empty. It was 6:30 and I had exactly one hour until school would start. It was Monday and I found it hard to get out of bed and drag myself downstairs and into the kitchen for some toast. My wrist was sore but I didn't mind. Cutting was my escape from the world and I loved it.

After some crappy burnt toast, I went back to my bedroom to find some clothes, more importantly, to find something that would cover my fresh cuts. I decided on my black skinny jeans and my favourite Asking Alexandria shirt. Then, to hide my scars, I added some black bracelets and tied a bandana around my wrist. I was determined no to let anyone see my cuts so I chose to hang out by myself.

I realized that I spent a while looking for my bandana and that if I didn't hurry up, I was going to be late. I rushed out to my car, put my bag in the passenger seat and drove off.

When I got to school, I realized I had forgotten to put on makeup. Mortified by my appearance, I ran into the bathroom and pulled my favourite eyeliner out of my bag. I quickly applied it and took off, hoping to get to my class before the second bell rang.

I got there just in time. I took a seat next to my friend Megan. I'd known Megan for quite some time and I felt comfortable calling her my best friend. Soon enough, Mr. Geoffrey walked in and began the math lesson. About half hour into the gruelling math lesson, someone knocked on the door.

"That must be the new student," Mr. Geoffrey said as he walked toward the door and turned the handle. Everyone's eyes were focused on the door as it opened and revealed a pale, tall, and lanky boy who appeared to have some serious issues with authority. He was wearing dark eye makeup and a black rosary that featured an inverted cross and a pentagram instead of mother Mary. I could hear the clunk of his boots and the jangling of all the chains he wore as he strode into the room. He quietly stood next to Mr. Geoffrey as he waited to be assigned a seat. "Why don't you sit in the empty seat next to Ray..." Mr. Geoffrey instructed.

"Everyone, this is Chris. He will be joining us for the rest of the semester."

I shot a quick smile in Chris's direction as he sat down. I know this was the type of guy I needed to stay away from, but I couldn't help but stare. He was just so beautiful. I hadn't even spoken to him but I knew I had to get to know him. I was attracted to everything about him.

He kept his eyes focused on the note we were copying and didn't acknowledge me or anyone else. I guess he wasn't looking to make friends, he was looking to actually graduate high school and move on with his life.

The bell rang, signaling the end of first period. Everyone dashed out of class. I trailed behind them and made my way to my next class.

All my classes sucked, except for lunch, if that even counts. As I walked down the hallway that lead to my locker, I heard Jared. Jared was the school bully and targeted all the kids who looked 'out of place' or 'different than the others.'

"Well, what do we have here, boys?" I heard him say. "You're disgusting, just look at yourself. You shouldn't be here."

I cautiously walked around the corner and Jared came into view. His latest victim was Chris, the new kid in my math class. I don't know where I found the courage to step in, but I did. "Seriously, Jared. Stop it." I muffled. I'm one of Jared's favourite targets so I was used to abuse. I didn't want to see Chris become a victim too, so I figured he'd have time to get away if I stepped in.

"Move along, Ray," he spat. "Stop trying to defend one of your own kind."

"No way, you're not winning this time," I screamed.

I marched up to him and spit right in his face. Then, together, Chris and I ran. We ran all the way out of the school and into the courtyard. Once we caught our breath, Chris finally looked at me.

"Thanks," he mumbled.

"No, problem," I told him.