Star Trek Voyager: The Gift 33. Mutual Dependency

The Selokian doctor let out a small sigh as his gaze moved from his unconscious patient, to the medical chart in his hand, and then back to the patient’s anxiously waiting friends. “He was lucky to get here when he did, he’ll have no lasting damage, the surgery was successful. If the impalement had occurred on the left side of his chest rather than his right, he’d have died for certain.” The doctor saw the cloaked figure by the bedside, the only female among his visitors, stiffen, her hooded head bowing deeper over the young man’s still body, and felt sympathy fill him. “As it is he’s broken most of the ribs on his right side and will probably have a scar for a while, but by resting here he should make a full recovery.”

The woman’s acknowledging nod was slow and hesitant. Her Vulcan friend, the doctor knew none of their names, spoke instead. “Thank you for that prognosis and your treatment Doctor. It is much appreciated.”

The doctor shook his head. “I took an oath to help the injured, whoever they are.” He replied honestly.

This statement seemed to embolden the young woman, although she still kept her face hidden. “Will he…” She corrected herself, placing one pale hand tentatively over the patient’s larger tanned one. “When will he regain consciousness?”

The doctor smiled down at her kindly, “Once the anaesthetic we put him under for surgery wears off, he should come around easily enough.” He assured her before added the requisite word of caution, “With an injury like this, the shock of it might keep him under for longer. Sometimes we have to let the body take its own time to recover.”

The woman’s slight shudder was just noticeable under her cloak but as the Vulcan moved to stand behind her she remained silent. “Thank you Doctor.” The Vulcan repeated again, his gaze only flickering down briefly to the bed when the doctor had left the room. “His recovery is apparently progressing well. I will inform the crew and hopefully that will help them focus better on repairs.”

Seven nodded, taking Tuvok’s typically Vulcan form of reassurance to heart as much as she could. “Yes, I am sure the crew will be relieved.” She agreed quietly, although as she stared at Chakotay she didn’t feel very relieved herself. The sight of him lying there so helplessly was like the torture of those terrifying minutes on the Valjean all over again. “I would be of more use assisting with the repairs…” She started, her voice quivering as she held back a frightened sob and stood up abruptly.

“No, you need to be here.” Dalton stated firmly, gently pushing Seven back into the chair by the shoulders. “The repairs can wait until Chakotay’s fit enough to tell you what to fix first.” He added with a tight smile.

This was one of those rare times when Tuvok was in complete agreement with the smuggler. It was true that the Valjean needed every pair of hands available for repairs, and he’d had enough trouble as it was restraining the entire crew from descending on the hospital to follow Chakotay’s recovery, but he felt that Seven had performed enough duties for now and knew that the Maquis leader would want to follow the human practice of having a “loved one” by his side when he woke. “It would be a logical step to have a crewmember with Chakotay at all times for security reasons.” He remarked stoically to Seven, his face, as usual, betraying none of his mental considerations.

Seven felt tension she hadn’t known she’d had abandon her body as their permission sunk in and a heavy sigh rattled her slender frame as she turned her attention back to Chakotay. “Then I will remain here.” She murmured, her shoulders hunching over as she bent protectively over Chakotay. It was almost as if the weight of the responsibility was physically pressing down on her. “Thank you.” She belatedly remembered to add, glancing gratefully up at the two older men.

A nurse’s entry stopped either Tuvok or Dalton from replying. “I’m sorry, but you’ll all have to leave, visiting hours were over hours ago.” She said brusquely as she checked the machines constantly reeling off data covering all aspects of Chakotay’s condition.