Star Trek Voyager: The Gift 15. The Valjean

“Right…” Kenharan began seriously as he watched his four new raw recruits follow him into the side room. “I hope you understand we’re not playing games here, your only initiation into the Maquis will be working as hard as the rest of us, no training rounds, so if you want to back out leave now.”

Chakotay glared at Seven through the room’s half lit gloom, silently willing her to come back to those sharp, pragmatic, Borg senses of hers and leave the room, and any involvement with the Maquis, behind her. His efforts proved to be pointless, Seven ignored him so meticulously, her attention fixed unflinchingly on Kenharan, that he was sure she was aware of his disapproval and was avoiding it with her strong shield of indifference. He was so wrapped up in his frustration that it took him several seconds to realise that Kenharan expected some sort of answer and that Harrow and Ayala were looking at him to lead, even Seven quirked a questioning eyebrow at him momentarily. “We understand.” He finally said with a stiff clarity, his fists unclenching as Kenharan nodded to them approvingly.

“Good.” Kenharan said as he walked behind a large table, spreading his arms out wide to draw their eyes to the clutter that littered it. “I’m just going to be straight with you here, we’re all adults…” He paused at that, casting a mildly suspicious glance at Seven; with the implants scarring her unreadable face and the long cloak hiding her figure he couldn’t make a guess at her true age, but then continued on with a small shrug, “The last scouting mission went horribly wrong. Now we’re short handed for our most vital mission in months, if I see that you’re up to it, you’ll be joining my strike team, is that understood?”

Ayala’s back straightened proudly, “Yes sir.” Chakotay couldn’t help but crack a tiny smile, another Academy graduate, or dropout.

“What happened?” Harrow asked curiously, his dark brows furrowing with a concern that emphasised his youth.

“We were scouting, reading the lay of the land in preparation shall we say, but our attempt to…” Kenharan cleared his throat, “…reclaim a colony vessel didn’t go as anticipated.”

Chakotay frowned in comprehension. “You needed that vessel as part of your bigger plan…” He murmured thoughtfully, as a statement rather than a question.

Kenharan smiled at him ruefully. “You read people well Chakotay, a useful skill.” He sighed heavily. “Yes we needed it, and we have it, but…”

“But the Cardassians have locked the control systems, as they do with all captured vessels.” Seven finished quietly, making all four men jump since it was the first sound she’d made since they’d entered the room, but Kenharan recovered quickly, giving Seven what Chakotay construed as a satisfied smile, and suddenly Chakotay knew why he’d let Seven join them so easily, he needed her.

“That’s right young lady.” Kenheran replied smoothly, “Seven, isn’t it?”

Seven nodded, biting the inside of her mouth to restrain her suddenly resurgent nerves. “I am Seven of Nine, Seven is acceptable.”

“If you know what this is, do you know how to disable it?” Kenheran asked urgently.

“Yes.” Seven answered simply, “I can operate all of the technology that has ever been assimilated by the Borg.” Chakotay knew that Seven didn’t think she was boasting, just stating a fact, but even while  in his cloud of anger with her he nearly laughed out loud at the overawed expressions on Ayala and Harrow’s faces, perhaps he had forgotten over the years how extraordinary some of Seven’s abilities, and deficiencies, could seem to the outside world.

Kenharan saw that she was perfectly serious and jumped into action, “Chakotay, Ayala, Harrow, go out and tell Haytar that’s he to take all of you to see the ship.” He ordered in a tone which revealed he was accustomed to obedience.”