Star Trek Voyager: The Gift 21. Engineering Jealousies

“Next up is Engineering, where the three of you will be working most of the time.” Chakotay explained as he continued to lead the newcomers on an, admittedly short, tour of the Valjean.

“We actually go down to reach Engineering.” Seven commented from up ahead as she pulled open the hatch in the bulkhead and then promptly stepped down the small flight of steps which led down into Engineering.

Chakotay saw the nervy, questioning glances which passed between B’Elanna, Hogan and Seska and knew they were wondering if Seven was really that literal. He wondered for a second whether to tell them that at one point, when he’d first met her, she had been but now it was just her way of teasing him. He decided against it, opting instead for his own wry reply as he and the others joined her. “Remember the principle of a figure of speech Seven?”

“Perfectly.” She answered, quick as a whip, while reading over the diagnostic readings from the nearest console, “But that doesn’t mean I can’t correct such misleading phrases.” She added, glancing over her shoulder to catch the smile he was trying to hide from her before purposefully heading straight for the warp core which towered over the otherwise cramped space. Seven couldn’t help but suppose that the Borg would have categorised this place as a basic engine room rather than a full Engineering station, but she was gradually learning to accept what was available to the Maquis was basic and she had to adapt accordingly.

“Well, it comforts me to know that you at least can handle her.” Seska told Chakotay approvingly while glancing pointedly at Hogan, who flushed, obviously the panicky reaction he’d had to the drone wasn’t about to be forgotten.

Chakotay nodded, the sultry tone of her voice obscuring the nature of what otherwise may have been considered condescending words from his consciousness. “I guess you could put it like that.” He responded awkwardly, watching as she walked off to study the different console, a slight but definite swing to her hips. He then caught B’Elanna staring at him with markedly raised eyebrows and felt his cheeks colour, “What?”

B’Elanna’s gaze shot between him and Seska before she answered with a non-committal shrug and moved on to her own concerns, “I guess I’m also relieved your drone listens to you…” She sent an uneasy glare in the direction of Seven’s back, “…to an extent…”

Chakotay’s lips curled in amusement. “Are you saying you’re going to obey my orders without question 100% of the time B’Elanna?” he queried, trying to lighten the mood.

B’Elanna bit her lip in frustration; she didn’t appreciate being compared to some resurrected Borg drone! “Probably not…” She admitted, having the grace to be sheepish, “But I still don’t understand why you’re protecting her, why she’s here at all! It’s not as if the Borg are repressed by the Cardassians…”

“She lost the only home she knew, just like we both did B’Elanna.” Chakotay interrupted seriously. B’Elanna saw a glint of quickly disguised grief, something she’d long since learned to recognise in others, pass over his eyes as he that and so bit back her incredulous retort, letting him continue. “I trust her B’Elanna, and if this is going to work you need to trust me.”

“I do trust you Chakotay, completely.” B’Elanna immediately assured him, feeling hurt that he would think otherwise.

“That’s always good to hear.” He admitted softly with a small smile before a sigh left his lips. “You are going to have to work together with Seven though, she’s been the only what I would call qualified engineer we’ve had on this ship since we started this.”

B’Elanna’s jaw clenched. “Is that your way of warning me that I’m going to have to deal with a territorial Borg?” she asked him through gritted teeth, her eyes narrowing in distaste.