49: The Logic Maze

"You asked to see me Captain?"

Kathryn Janeway jumped violently, despite the fact that she'd been anticipating this conversation even while she'd tried to focus on Tom Paris. Angrily fighting back the flush of unjustified shame as she jerked her head up from being cradled in her hands, her gaze fixed on the canary yellow highlights of Tuvok's uniform, the purposely indistinct browns and greys of his Maquis cover had been completely discarded. She felt she'd gleam more from this, meticulously presented, uniform than Tuvok's carefully moulded, impassive face. Surely the man who paid attention to such tiny details as the regimented row of gold pips at his collar couldn't truly be disillusioned with Starfleet? He was the staunchest officer she'd, probably ever would, know and had served for over 90 years, longer than she herself ever would, yet as much as these facts battled to defend her old friend in her mind, she couldn't tally them up with what he'd done. He'd jeopardised an entire two year mission for...what? If he shared Tom Paris' motivation, then it would appear to be friendship, but some irrational part of her wanted to deny what would otherwise be the best explanation, certainly preferable to his being a Maquis convert, merely because she was stung that he'd didn't trust her, valued the confidence of an ex-Borg more than her own. "Yes Lieutenant." She finally replied drily, in reality the pause, which had seemed endless to her, had lasted merely seconds.

Tuvok tilted his head towards her slightly in a simple sign of acknowledgement but otherwise remained stock still, his dark gaze unflinchingly steady on hers as he waited. Janeway sighed, here was the man standing who still respected the Captain's prerogative to begin the conversation, whatever the situation. The sound of her irritation was as loud, it's meaning as obvious, as she'd intended for Tuvok picked up on the cue immediately with only a subtle twitch of his eyebrow. In other circumstances, Janeway might've smiled. She'd wasn't exactly known for her restraint; maybe she had just surprised a Vulcan with her reticence. "I presume you wish to analyse my conduct during the undercover operation with the Maquis?" he asked levelly.

Janeway sat back in her chair, his calm manner shocking her somewhat. She doubted Tom Paris would often be compared with the man in front of her or vice versa, but right now they seemed equally unrepentant. "I think that would be a good idea, although right now of course..." She glanced warily at the array looming outside of the Ready Room's window, half-expecting the Caretaker to launch an attack while she was distracted with an issue he knew she wouldn't ignore, "...we have a whole other Quadrant's worth of problems to deal with." She shifted forward in her chair, pressing her elbows into her desk until they hurt as she internally debated recording this questioning session for prosperity before deciding against it. "Start with explaining Chakotay's Borg...friend." She ordered coolly, "I know you're too thorough an operative to have not been aware of her before the Caretaker flushed her out." She regretted the snide comment as soon as it had left her mouth, Tuvok wouldn't rise to it and she knew she'd need to stay strictly professional right now if she were to control this situation.

Tuvok barely blinked, just as she'd predicted. "I knew of Seven of Nine, worked with her, as soon as I boarded the Valjean, before I was even initiated into the crew. As I reported, the situation at that point was volatile, but my assistance rendered me trustworthy to Chakotay, and therefore to his entire crew, including his 'Borg friend'."

Janeway took a deep breath as she looked up at him, "What did you think of her at that time?" She toyed with PADD on her desk, flashing him a glance of the screen, "I still have very comprehensive reports of your first impression of every other member of that crew and I don't want to be left lacking."

Tuvok's gaze retreated inward for a moment in consideration, "I was...surprised when I learned of her existence Captain. To suppose that Chakotay's combative advantage came from such an unknown as a freed Borg would've been impossible beforehand."