Star Trek Voyager: The Gift 8. Graduation

San Francisco, Earth. July 2367.

Chakotay shifted the rickety chair he was sitting on further into the shade and took another grateful swig of his ice cold water, shrugging off the jacket of his cadet uniform and resting it on the back of the chair as the café’s waitress approached. “Are you ready to order sir?” she asked politely.

“I’m waiting for someone…” He began to say but stopped as he saw Sekaya’s unmistakable form running up the street, by the time she reached the small café in whose outdoor tables he sat she was breathless. He smiled apologetically at the waitress, “I’ll have a Caesar salad and another water please.”

“Same for me.” Sekaya added as she sank into the chair across from him. As the waitress departed, she smiled teasingly at her brother, giving a small salute. “Good afternoon Ensign.”

Chakotay tugged at the bare collar of his cadet’s uniform, “I’m not quite an Ensign yet, not until after the ceremony tomorrow.”

“I know, I know, your graduation. I’ll be there. Why do you think I left New York while all the end of term parties were still going on?”

Chakotay laughed, “I take it you’re still enjoying NYU then?” Sekaya had started her art course the last September.

Sekaya shrugged, “The exams were a bit of a downer, but…” She halted, leaning over the table and saying in a low tone, “What do you think of the peace treaty?”

“The one between the Federation and the Cardassians?” Chakotay asked, earning raised eyebrows from his little sister. Clearing his throat awkwardly, the subject was a big bone of contention between cadets in the dorms, he said, “It’s great that they’ve finally left Bajor…”

“And coming to Dorvan V.” Sekaya added darkly.

“What?” Chakotay asked in disbelief, “What do you mean? The terms of the treaty aren’t fully public yet, it’s speculation to say that the Cardassians will even ask for the colonies, let alone get them!” He exclaimed with flashing eyes, only controlling his tone when people at neighbouring tables began to stare at him.

Sekaya was temporarily stopped from replying by the arrival of their salads and took a forkful of lettuce and dressing before responding, “Well they did ask, and they got. According to the messages everyone at home got, not only Dorvan V but all ten planets are being ceded to the Cardassians.”

“How is that possible? The Cardassian colonists haven’t been there half as long as some of us have…” Chakotay hissed, ignoring his food.

“Ask your Federation and Starfleet diplomats that question, not me.” Sekaya retorted sharply, feeling guilty when her brother winced, “I’m sorry I said that, it was out of line.” She squeezed his hand across the table as he nodded. “Dad didn’t even want me to tell you, he said you’ve got enough to worry about with choosing a posting, but I think you’ve got a right to know.”

“Of course I do!” Chakotay replied hotly before forcing himself to cool down a little, “What are they going to do?”

“An appeal to the Federation Council already been made, Dad and the Elders are putting their faith in that…” She sighed, making it obvious that she didn’t share their hope, before brightening a little, “Seven’s installing Borg enhanced scans on Dorvan’s surface so we can track Cardassian movements. I told her she should build weapons, but Dad doesn’t approve so she won’t.”

“We don’t want to give the Cardassians an excuse to attack before we’ve thrown their stupid treaty out Sekaya.” Chakotay reminded her quietly, his stomach churning.