Star Trek Voyager: The Gift 22. Birthdays and Stowaways

“I still don’t see how the leaders could possibly expect us to attack Orvin!” B’Elanna fumed incredulously as she again read their newest orders from the Maquis chiefs, “We told them in our last report that we were down to our last plasma torpedo…”

Seska leaned languidly over the circular table which was not only used for tactic discussions like this one but also where the Valjean’s crew ate their meals in shifts, hoping impatiently for Chakotay arrival as she narrowed her eyes challengingly at the hot-blooded half Klingon, “Come on, B’Elanna, don’t be such a pessimist! We could destroy that rusting heap of a barracks with phasers alone.”

B’Elanna frowned angrily, sometimes her friend’s over-confident, almost fatalistic perspective on things irritated the hell out of her! “Yeah, maybe if phasers were 100% functional…” She countered with a snort, “You’re an engineer too Seska, can’t you be a little more realistic?”

“In actuality…” Seven cut in coldly, “…it would take a minimum of five plasma torpedoes and several volleys of phaser fire in order to disable an installation of Orvin’s magnitude.” She hadn’t really intended to back up B’Elanna, she was just stating fact after all, but she still caught B’Elanna’s nod of agreement and Seska’s smouldering glare. In the two months since the small crew had expanded to include the two women, Seven had formed a begrudging respect for the Klingon, who was the best engineer since being freed from the Borg, and although their relationship was still very fractious, they were now able to tolerate each other to a certain extent. On the other hand, any interaction with Seska now simmered with animosity, a feeling the Bajoran seemed intent on stoking.

“Maybe you’re not being inventive enough with your strike plans Seven.” Seska muttered dismissively, a comment which had the desired effect of making the drone stiffen.

Chell shifted awkwardly in his seat, feeling out of place among the battling female personalities. “Maybe we don’t have to do it, we could tell the chiefs we never got the message, communications around here are pretty terrible…”

Logan sighed, pushing a hand through his hair. “Not that it wouldn’t serve them right, considering that it’s obvious how little attention they pay to our reports, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to ignore the leaders. We’re fragmented enough as it is…”

“I agree.” Chakotay’s deep voice suddenly resonated through the room as he walked towards the table, setting down a large PADD before continuing, “There’s no way we can risk breaking free of what leadership we have entirely, we won’t beat back the Cardassians alone.” He waited until they were all paying perfect attention, most nodding to his words, with the notable exception of Seska, and then added authoritatively, “Which is why we’re going to destroy the Orvin barracks as ordered.”

“How exactly?” Nathaniel Harrow piped up curiously, though with a nervous glint in his eye.

Chakotay held up the PADD in evidence, “We’ve been given the authority to purchase the weapons needed for this strike and more. Plasma torpedoes, phaser banks, Federation grade rifles and shield upgrades.”

Seven felt her eyebrows rising doubtfully as she calculated their resources, they barely stretched to cover the fuel to get to Orvin. “We do not possess enough items of monetary value to purchase such items Chakotay.” She pointed out quietly, as if trying to let him down gently.

Chakotay winced slightly at the reminder of their straightened circumstances, then forced himself to brighten. “I know that Seven.” He acknowledged, “The leaders know that too, which is why they’ve given me the responsibility of bargaining with the latinum seized during the raid on Tanak G’Nor in order to secure these weapons.” He took a deep breath as his crew processed this information. The raid on Tanak G’Nor, a deadly but successful raid on a Cardassian space station the previous month, had yielded more medical supplies and essentials than the whole Maquis had managed to garner in six months.