Star Trek Voyager: The Gift 10. Battles

“Seven, are you sure you don’t want to sit down?” Kolopak asked carefully as he observed her staring blankly out of the docking station’s window to the gleaming blue seas of Earth below.

“Borg do not…” She began tersely without moving her gaze from the swirling patches of cloud, biting her lips as she corrected herself and turned her head to face her guardian before saying in a contrite murmur, “I’d…rather stand, thank you.”

Kolopak sat back in one of the waiting area’s uncomfortable chairs with a sigh, at least her rejection had been well mannered, and he knew she was tense about Chakotay’s arrival so decided not to push her. “Transport 45890, Deep Space Three to Earth, now docking in Docking Bay 1.” The Computer droned out from speakers somewhere above them.

Kolopak smiled in Seven’s direction, “We’re in the right place, he should be here any minute now.” Seven nodded in acknowledgement of the comment but didn’t follow Kolopak in moving closer to the doors Chakotay would soon be walking through, she had a feeling she would be the last person he wanted to see. She found her eyes travelling over her cybernetic hand, which gripped the edge of the window so tightly it looked even more inhuman than normal, how close had a similarly abused hand come to assimilating Chakotay? She shut her eyes as old memories, ones that were not strictly her own in the human sense but very much a part of her, overwhelmed her and screams filling her ears… A real voice, Kolopak’s, broke the spell, “Chakotay!”

She wheeled around so quickly the hood obscuring her facial implants slipped momentarily, but she had time to fix it as the father and son embraced tightly, Chakotay’s face hidden in his father’s broad shoulder but she heard a murmur of “Thanks Dad…” as they finally pulled back and she got a proper view of his face. The rational side of her knew he was uninjured and felt relief, but she was also shocked by how hollow his handsome face was and creased with a permanent look of strain and exhaustion.

Kolopak of course noticed all the things Seven did, and many more, squeezing his son’s shoulders supportively, “We were thinking of taking you home, are you alright with that?”

Chakotay ran a hand through his hair, his expression slightly glazed. “Yeah…I’m fine with that for now.” He replied quietly, picking his small bag off the floor and swinging it over his shoulder.

“Right, good then.” Kolopak replied after an uncertain pause, he’d really expected more resistance to his plan and felt worry sink deeper into his soul at his son’s out of character lifelessness. He hurriedly beckoned Seven over, “Let’s all go then, shall we?”

Seven watched Chakotay nod before following suit, peering into his face as she said, with her voice thick with unusual emotional sincerity, “I am relieved that you have returned unharmed Chakotay.” The look she got in return was vacant, yet oddly piercing, as if he were looking straight through her, could feel her unease, but utterly ignored her. A shudder ran through her that she couldn’t entirely hide, and desperately she spoke to fill the silence, “I…I am informed that you were promoted to Lieutenant…for your valour…” She stammered.

“Yes, well done son. I’m proud of you.” Kolopak said warmly.

Chakotay pulled out of his father’s grasp, “Valour?” he said bitterly, “The only thing I did different from others is survive.” With that he began to stride ahead, “Which docking port are we going to Dad?” he asked abruptly.

“Number 5, son.” Kolopak answered with a heavy note of sadness in his voice. “Come on Seven.” She obeyed, but kept herself at least five paces behind them at all times. This was even worse than she had imagined, she had anticipated somewhat the hot flame of hatred, which she had hoped would fade in time, but not him acting as if she were not there, blocking out her existence entirely, she had no idea how to cope with that…