chapter 21

Leah’s POV

Too emotional to move I continued staring, my wolf on the verge of coming out and my body in aggressive mode.

He was older than I remember; his once black hair was lined with grey. Wrinkles faced his eyes and forehead but his tall frame was still strong and intimidating. His eyes, my eyes, were the same blue but his were etched with pain and a permanent tiredness. He sighed and rubbed his hand behind his neck.

Just that action brought back memories of us in our home, him and mum having mini arguments, or he exasperating at her actions and suddenly my eyes betrayed my emotions as a single tear dropped.

He watched the traitorous tear fall down my cheek with a pained expression. “You’ve grown up so much. I’ve missed it all. I messed it all up. I’m so sorry Leah. It was an accident”

I turned sharply and started walking away as anger flooded my body. I didn’t want to hear this.

“No wait, I’m sorry, I didn’t come to say that, I’ve come to help you with your mate” he hurriedly shouted after me. I stumbled at his words, surprised he knew about Adrian and his problem, but didn’t stop.

“Please.” he whispered. I closed my eyes at his dejected tone and halted but made no move to turn around. I didn’t want to look at him. I didn’t want to talk to him, he may be my father by blood but any sentiments behind that role he gave up when he murdered my mother.

“I’ll uh, keep it short then. I know about your mate and I know how to help him. It’s your mate bond Leah, you can help him” he said trailing off. “I’ll be in town for a while, I’ve missed you. You’ve become such a -”

But I didn’t hear the rest, I couldn’t. I sprung into my wolf form and sprinted away. Even in my wolf form somehow the tears fell relentlessly. I felt so horrid, I hated him. My childhood was gone because of his actions. I had no parents, lived in a different country all because of him.

I ran and ran until I was at the edge of the woods, the city skyline ahead of me. I looked out at the humans walking around. A man in a suit yelling into his phone, a group of teen girls looking and laughing at him, a guy opening the door for a woman, in a short gold dress. They didn’t know about life.

 These were the people who never felt the heartbreak of being rejected by your mate for the rest of your life. These were the people who never had to worry about an evil being possessing their loved ones. Most would never know what it’s like to lose their parents in a day. I envied them.

Sitting with my head on my paws I didn’t notice a little girl in a hideous pink dress looking at me. After sensing her gaze I looked up into her familiar gold-hazel eyes. She was holding a women’s hand and when I looked at her she tilted her head and smiled before being dragged away.

Not over thinking her lack of fear at an over grown white wolf I turned around before I was spotted by anyone else. I didn’t know where I was going, not that I cared much. Who would’ve thought how many things could happen in a day.