chapter 2

Adrian’s POV:

I walked slowly towards the school’s entrance, keeping my head low and avoiding all eye contact. As I neared the large gates, I heard someone call my name. I ignored them, thinking it was just another tormenter who wanted to tease me about my furry ears. The person called my name again and I recognized her voice.

“Hey Adrian! Wait up, will you?” Jules screamed from behind me. I glanced around and found all heads turned to me, probably eagerly awaiting a bashing or something. I decided to ignore Jules. God that girl, she was going to be the end of me! I hurried my steps and thought I’d lost Jules when she caught up and planted herself right in front of me so I was forced to stop.

"Hey, you walk fast! Didn’t you hear me?" she said, obviously trying to catch her breath.

"What do you want Jules?"  I asked wearily. Honestly, all I wanted to do at the moment was to get to my first class and listen to some Nirvana.

 "Oh, I just want to talk! Also, I wanted to know if you wanted to join us at lunch today because I noticed you like to sit alone and I thought you could use a friend." she said with hope filling her eyes. I took in her petite body, light brown hair, and baby blue eyes. This girl was too kind for her own good. She was always trying to make friends with the most unlikely people. Right now, those people would be.

Controlling the urge to shout at her to leave me alone, I settled with: "Jules I’m sorry but I have things that I need to complete for school. Um, maybe next time." I said, only because I didn’t want to deal with Jules’s massive mate that was standing a few feet away watching over her.

"Oh, ok. Yeah, next time." she said sadly.

Without a backwards glance, I turned away from Jules’s puppy dog eyes, only to be hit with the most delicious scent I’ve ever smelled. A sweet sensation surged through my body, making my fingertips tingle and my wolf howl. I needed to find out where this amazing smell was coming from.

I turned around only to see that every male in the vicinity was drooling, with the females glaring at someone. Being the fool I am, I watched this very fine girl dismount a motorbike. You know, it’s every guys dream to see a hot chick on a motorbike. Even mine, I must admit.

My gaze travelled to her face, just in time to see her pull of her helmet. My breath hitched at the sight of her features and I hissed through my teeth. The girl had long, black hair and intense, electric blue eyes that I could spot me from across the parking lot. She was what had smelled so damn good. I watched as she scanned the area, her bright eyes searching each face before landing on my shadowed features. Her eyes widened and I felt a pull towards this amazing girl.  I would’ve indulged in this sight, but I snapped out of my reverie when my wolf said one word that both rocked and brought my world crashing down.

 “Mate.”

Leah’s POV:

I removed my helmet, only to be met with stares of drooling males and glaring females. Whatever, I was used to this. I scanned the area and found myself drawn to a particular hooded figure. His hood covered his face, but I caught a glimpse of a hard-set jaw and smoldering golden eyes.

With my own eyes wide, I continued to stare. He was just so captivating. I found it hard to look away. However, the connection I’d shared with him for a few moments was broken as the figure turned on his heels and walked into the school. Without hesitation I followed after him, ignoring the stares of everyone else.

I lengthened my strides and entered the building, determined to catch up to this mysterious person but he was already lost in the crowds. The bell rang suddenly, signaling the start of classes and there was a rush to get into school. I had to fight my way to the side of the hallway so I could catch my breath.

Forgetting the person for now, I headed to the office to collect my schedule. There, I was met with a grumpy old lady typing away on her keyboard. I approached her wearily and was working up the guts to ask her for my when she spoke.

"Welcome to Wolf Bane High, here is your schedule and locker number. The map is on the back of the schedule if you’re having trouble finding your way." The lady’s voice was tired and she looked bored, as if she’d said the same thing a hundred times. Well, she probably had…

"Uhh… thanks," I mumbled, grabbing the paper and walking away.

I looked at my schedule and saw that I had math first. With a sigh, I turned my schedule over to find the map on the back and started heading towards what I thought was the Math Department. Suddenly, I knocked heads with a girl that I hadn’t seen.

Note to self: Look where you’re going!

The short girl stumbled back and was caught by a very tall, muscular guy. He really was a giant.

 "Thanks," she said to him, giving him an adoring smile. His reply was a small grin and a nod. Mates, I thought. This seemed like a good time to ask for help, but the girl beat me to it.

"Hey, you’re new! Here, let me see what you have." The girl grabbed my schedule and checked it, trailing her finger down all my classes. "It looks like we have all the same classes! I’m Jules, by the way, and this here is my boyfriend, Max." she introduced. Max, that name fits him perfectly.

"Oh, I’m Leah, and thanks for helping me." I replied.

"No problem! Come on, we’d better hurry; Mr. Twinkle doesn’t like people being late."

"Mr.… Twinkle," I sniggered as we walked in the opposite direction to where I’d been headed. Maybe I didn’t read maps as well as I’d thought.

"I know right? When I first heard that, I laughed so hard. Even Max found it funny," she laughed. I looked to Max to see him silently laughing as well.

We reached the class and I handed my note to Mr. Twinkle, explaining that I was a new student.

Haha …Mr. Twinkle. I didn’t think that would ever get old.

"Alright Leah, I’m Mr. Twinkle. It would be great if you could go ahead and take a seat so I can continue the lesson that you so kindly interrupted."

And here I was expecting a cheery welcome. Well, I suppose if I had a name like his, I’d be pretty grumpy too.

I looked around the classroom to notice the mysterious boy from the parking lot sitting quietly in the corner by the window with an empty seat in front of him. That chair just seemed to have my name on it. I strolled passed the annoying male and female wolves and settled myself in front of the stranger. 

***