chapter 23

“So then my mommy said pink should be my favorite color and not blue and that all the clothes I wear pink looks better so I had to go put the blue dress back and get a pink one.”

“That’s nice”

“Right after that I went back to school and my best friend Millie came and said she doesn’t like my dress and I told her I didn’t like it either and then Max, that’s Millies broter, he came and threw mud on me so I hit him and got in trouble”

“Aha”

“-after that my mommy cam to get me and she wasn’t happy because my new dress was messed so we threw it away and she told me I had to be careful next time”

“Oh yeah”

“-after that she didn’t want me to have ice cream so then I went to my gram’s and I played with Adrian and he calls me mini and my doll and I were playing tea party with him. He’s a good horsy ‘cuz he got a tail and big ears”

My ears perked up at Adrian’s name, my attention turning to her. Quite sad really, one mention of his name and suddenly I’m all ears.

“So then after we played horsy I had to go home ‘cuz mommy called but Adrian couldn’t come with. After that I started school again and then Millie and I were playing tea party again but she doesn’t play as well as he does”

Goodness does this child take a breath. Looking at her I saw the ice cream long gone… all on the floor that is. I couldn’t help it, as cute as she was, she didn’t stop talking and everything she said just flew over me.

Though my attention was elsewhere, she was actually making me feel better. She was the distraction I needed. Her outlook on life was so simple and stress free, something I should try. Focus on the little things to overcome the big ones.

“Leah?” a confused voice came.

Snapping out of my daze I looked up at the shadow towering over me. “Zack?”

“Sara what are you doing here with Leah?” he asked looking next to me.

Oh right. They were siblings.

“I was telling Leah to come to my tea party” she squeaked “is it time to go already?”

“hmm? Oh yeah we do” he replied looking at me.  Surpassing his surprise, he smiled.

“Sorry Leah, I hope she hasn’t been troubling you”

“No, of course not. She made my day” I smiled down at her. She beamed back at me.

“Right, I’m glad” he said, toneless. I looked back at him to see his face blank and staring at me.

“Are you okay Zack?”

Still staring, his lip upturned and a half smile appeared.

“I am now” and he leaned forward, placing a small kiss just above the edge of my lips. Before I had time to move he straightened “Come Sara time to go” and he started walking away. Awkward.

“Bye bye lee, I like you” and with that she turned and gave me a hug

Aww, melt melt melt melt. I put my arms around her and she looked up and smiled at me. How could anyone not be happy after looking at this little thing. I watched her skip away, a smile on my face. I even felt physically better, my headache hadn’t returned either.

I was still staring in the direction they left before I blinked out of my stupor. Zack kissed me. Well kind of. I sighed, that wasn’t what I wanted. I wasn’t looking for a boyfriend, just a friend.