chapter 20

Leah’s POV

I sighed and leant my head on the car window. Uncle Jack was still rattling and I barely had the energy to pay attention only registering the words “hurt”, “alone”, “disappointed” and “health” but not even attempting to understand in which context it was placed.

As we reached home I shrugged off Jack’s help with a tight smile and dragged myself upstairs. I felt guilty for the way I was treating him but was too tired to do anything. I fell on my bed but immediately fell off it when I heard a cough behind me, my legs wobbling.

“Hello dear” she said chuckling. Gaining my equilibrium I openly stared back at Adrian’s grandmother, my eyes wide as she perched herself on the edge of my bed and looked down at me. “How are you feeling, it’s nice to see you again, although you don’t look that well. I won’t be getting any great-gran babies if you don’t take care of yourself”

Recovering from my shock, I blushed at her comment and managed to climb my way onto my bed, hugging my knees and peeking at her from beneath my lashes. This suddenly shy Leah was new to me, I had no words and that was a first.

“Aww sweetheart, are you ok? I’m so sorry about Adrian, he’s not been himself these few weeks” the understatement of the century I thought. “We didn’t get much time to talk last time, let me get a good look at you” as she started to poke and prod me as if it was completely normal, mumbling something about the good ol’ days. My eyebrows furrowed and eventually she stopped and smiled at me.

“Oh baby, come here” she sighed and pulled me into a hug “it’s okay. You just need to work on bringing Adrian out of his shell. You’ve done it before you can do it again. He just needs to realize he has more love in him than hate and who better to do that than his mate”

“B-But Grams how do I do that” I finally managed to stutter.

“You’re attractive, smart and a sassy women, you’ll think of something.  But I did see a very nice red dress hanging in your closet that would do the trick”

Gob smacked at the implications of this 60 something year old women, my face became the color of the dress she described as I realised she wanted me to seduce Adrian.

“That’s the way to go, why I remember back in my day before my dear Edgar was able to claim me, I wore this black dress out a party where he was and it was above my knee! Of course it was absolutely scandalous back then but the look in Edgar’s eyes said it all. Well let’s just say there was a reason I was a young mum and am still alive expecting great-gran babies now” she prattled on.

“All you need to do is bring out the good in him, he was always hiding his looks before you came and now everyone has seen his features. You best hurry though dearry you need to be claimed soon, the longer you wait the weaker you become” she patted my knee.

 “Oh look, Jack was it? Perfect timing I was just thinking I needed some tea. Let’s go and you can make me some, my poor bones where not what they used to be” I look behind me and saw Uncle Jack, slack jawed and wide eyed as Grams abruptly linked her arm in his and started dragging him downstairs.

For an old lady who’s complaining about her bones she seems to have enough strength to manhandle everyone around her.

I looked at the now vacant side of my bed and thought over what she said. That was what I wanted of course, before I started getting sick, I was determined to get my mate back and now I needed too. For my own sake, as well as Adrian’s.

Struck with a thought I pulled on my boots and opened the window and jumped down, unfortunately landing on my ass since my strength wasn’t back.

I peeked in the widow and saw a flustered Jack scrambling around the kitchen while Granny sat and blasted orders. Snickering at the scene in front of me, Granny suddenly turned her head straight towards me and winked, making me jump and feel a bit sheepish. She nodded her head towards Uncle Jack’s car and I saw the keys on the hood. That woman was clearly something else I thought chuckling at her audacity.

Starting it up I inched away from the house, not wanting to draw attention to myself and headed towards school. If I rushed I could make it back before last period ended. I parked next to my car and waited for the bell to ring.

Leaning back I fell into a light sleep still exhausted from my now common fainting spells. Hearing shuffling around me I woke disoriented and started looking around for Adrian. I used the bond to feel his aura and followed it behind the school, close the woods where we had our confrontation. I spotted him a distance away and took a deep breath.

Here we go.

I walked closer and stopped when I saw his furry ears twitch. ‘Adrian’ I breathed in the mind link. This was the first time I used it since the rouge attack. His left hand flinched but otherwise he looked unaffected.

Circling, I came to stand in front of him and looked up into his dark golden eyes. His face was impassive and slightly aggressive. I took on a submissive, coy role and shyly looked up at him. “I’ve missed you” I sent and silently stepped forward. He blinked but didn’t move.

Leisurely my head raised, eyes covering every inch of his body from legs, to body, arms and finally his eyes so he knew my intentions as he looked at me. Slowly my hands raised and touched his ears, he inhaled and closed his eyes but still made no inclination of moving. This gave me hope.

“They’re so soft” I told him, and sent him thoughts of our little scenario in his room. He gulped and I internally danced. I remembered the feelings I had felt and how he had turned me on and sent that those through the bond.

Abruptly he pulled away and stomped deeper into the woods but not fast enough for me not to see the glimmer of gold expand and the black of his eyes dim. Staring after him I saw him yank his clothes off and turn into his lycan form. Switching between two and four legs, he looked at me and then ran until he wasn’t in sight.

Entertained at his priceless actions I sat down and stared after him thinking maybe Grams was onto something. This was more like my Adrian, if I tried hard enough I might get him back. My wolf was content with the change of events and purred being in her natural environment. Not knowing how long I stayed there I didn’t notice someone behind me until the winds shifted and a new scent hit me.

My spine immediately stiffened and my body seemed to go into overdrive. I couldn’t move. Memories came back in full force, the feelings of betrayal, anger and grief all exploded in my being. Closing my eyes I stood up cautiously, my wolf senses braced on the person behind me, and turned around.

I was too emotional to keep my face blank, hoping and praying that wasn’t who I thought it was even though I knew it was baseless. Needing visual confirmation I opened my eyes and looked into the eyes of a stranger.

The eyes I haven’t seen in 5 years.

The eyes that are exactly like mine.

The eyes of my mothers’ murderer.

“Hello Daughter.”

********

*gasp* he has returned

da da daaaaaaa!!!!

what you guys think is going to happen, well i for one don't know...so don't look at me....

look at...uh her..*points to random stranger*