chapter 19

LEAHS POV

I jolted awake. Staring at the familiar red walls of my room I relaxed. Before the memories of the previous day came back to me, me fainting, someone carrying me and that dream I had, they were so happy and real until they turned ugly.

 My eyes blurred as I recalled being in Adrian’s arms, his scent overcoming my senses but of course that could be a dream too.

In my dream, I felt him carry me away and put me down somewhere. He was hovering over me with a goofy smile on his lips, he was leaning forward to kiss me but then the dream transformed again and I saw Adrian in a dark, wet room. I called out to him but he never looked at me.

He was staring at a large, oval, silver-toned mirror that was floating in the middle of the dark room; he was pacing in front of the mirror, continuously watching it.

I tried to call out to him but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get to him or his attention towards me.

Sighing, I looked around my room I saw a bowl of water and washcloth and realised Uncle Jack must’ve brought me up here. I slumped back on my pillow. My body felt as if I had ran a triathlon and now my emotions matched that exhaustion.

Uncle Jack must’ve heard my cries because he came in with a plate of food. He opened his arms and allowed me to cry into him as he smoothed my hair. Once my muffles quieted down he managed to coax me to eat the soup he made. “Leah please, get better. You’re all I have too.” he whispered. “Did you bring me up here?” I managed to mumble and saw his eye twitch but before he could answer my body forced me into unconsciousness again.

 **************************************************************************************************************

It’s been three days of lying in bed trying to convince Uncle Jack that I was better and finally I was going to school with or without his consent… of course it was without but no need to dwell on the details.

I dressed in black skinnies and my red leather jacket and combat boots as quietly as possible and crept down the stairs before rushing out the door yelling “I’m going to school” before Uncle Jack had a chance to force me back to bed.

My bike was right where I left it days before and rather than start it up now I rolled it down the road and started it at the end of the street. Looking behind me I saw Uncle Jack with a bowl in his hand and an exasperated expression on his face. Placing my helmet on my head I screamed “Love you” and drove off with a smile on my face.

Jules and Mel were ecstatic when I entered homeroom. We, I mean by they screamed and jumped up and down, before they ranted about all the gossip I missed. Content, I listened in on my classes and felt better already just being back and doing something productive.

By lunch time I was caught up on everything I missed but forgot about the last time I was in the cafeteria. Clearly everyone else had not. They stared openly at me and whispered behind their hands about who knows what.

I looked back at the spot where I declared Adrian as mine but stepped away before my emotional turmoil became a physical one.

I studiously ignored the curious gazes and clearly Jules and Mel felt the same. As we sat down at a bench Max, Jules mate joined us with his friend Solomon; he was a repeating senior since his family and mate were killed on his last trip to his hometown in Africa, something he needed time to get over.

He was the handsome quiet type with a chocolate complexion and midnight black hair. This was overshadowed by his piercing grey eyes. Despite his past he was strong willed guy, who worked and studied, taking care of himself and never showing a hint of weakness… or at least that’s what Jules said since Mel and I were basically new.