chapter 16

Leah POV

The rest of the day passed in a daze. I either showed up late or walked into the wrong class. Lunch was filled with whispered conversations, everyone still thinking about what happened earlier.

I sat alone outside staring into space. My mind was blank, heart was pained and emotions a mess. Needless to say when the bell rang I was the first one out the door. As I walked to my bike I felt a pair of eyes on me. Sensing Adrian I stopped and closed my eyes.

"Leah" he said, his voice expressionless.

He turned and walked deeper into the woods. Silently I followed, he was still blocking his emotions from me yet mine was as open as a book.

Once he stopped hearing the chatter of the school grounds he turned to me; a masked look on his face. Neither of us said anything for a while, knowing we had to talk about what happened I slowly mustered up some courage from the pits of my still broken heart.

"Adrian I-"I started.

"I don't want you" he interrupted and I stammered, disbelief lacing my eyes. I looked up at him for any sign of a joke, but I found none. His eyes were blank, back to their gold color but the black specks still present.

With that look my world broke down.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out, my already mixed emotions became raw, whatever remained of my heart was now crumbled and lay in ruins in front of me. "Why" I managed to choke out, tears freely rolling down my face.

"It's for the best. We're different people now" I looked into his eyes and recognized the truth in that.

He was not my Adrian.

He was someone else.

I looked into his eyes, the black becoming more prominent. My Adrian was gone. I was empty and so was he. In front of me was just a shell of the person he was. My body started shaking and knees gave way. I sank to the floor and Adrian's gaze followed me, a sneer now on his face. "Look at you, you were strong and I was weak, now I am strong and you're a mess."

With that he walked away leaving me on the floor.

I was a blubbering mess. His words rang in my ears. My mate doesn't want me. That's all I could think.

I don't know how long I stood there but I heard a voice in the distance, eventually it got closer and I realized it was my name being called.

"Leah"

Uncle Jack, I opened my eyes and whimpered. He must've heard because he soon came into view. "Oh Leah, what happened to you?" he cried leaning down and picking me up. Noticing he wasn't going to reply he headed back and soon I found we were in the school parking lot. "I'll bring your bike back tomorrow" he murmured as he placed me into the car.

I barely noticed the drive home but soon realised I was placed in my bed. A silent Uncle Jack now stared at me, questions in his eyes. I said nothing; even if I wanted to I doubt I would've been able too. Noticing this he kissed my temple and left.

As soon as he shut the door the tears came back. I felt bereft and exposed. My emotions on display and my heart destroyed. Somehow my body seemed to realize its tired state and I eventually drifted into a forced sleep.

*************************************************************************************************************

I was up in the air floating along the clouds. Below I saw the ocean, its cobalt blue shining in glory. Looking up I noticed my path was becoming darker. The clouds slowly changed from a soft white to dull grays until I was deep in the midst of charcoal black clouds yet I did not stop. My brain was telling me I shouldn't be here but I had no choice but to continue.