Chapter 7

Roxy POV

"Enjoy!" I smile as I hand the customer their bag, sending them out of the shop as the last customer of the day. I sigh, laying my head on my arms on the counter. I was the only one left in the store, except Atru, of course.

"Come on," I giggle, taking him out of the little bubble bath I set up to keep him happy. Before drying him, I quickly went to the front of the store and turned the sign to "closed" so that no more customers would enter the pet shop. I dry him off and groom him as much as possible before he leaps from the table, shaking off a little of the excess water from the bath.

I clean up the rest of the shop, from the bathing area to the front desk and then go and turn off all the lights and set the security system, adding a little magic just to be sure as usual, and locked the doors and pulled down the shutter.

"What a day," I mutter to Artu, and he simply barks in reply, "come on, boy, let's go home."

Nothing sounded better than my bed right now- I had been working nonstop all day to make up for the Winx being back at Alfea. I had visited them and found out they'd be staying for a while so it's down to me to take charge. The pets stayed in a magic-protected pen upstairs, or other little areas protected by magic. They had all the food and water and toys they needed, so there was no need to worry. Besides, if someone were to break into the store, the security system would go off.

Tecna had managed to get my phone to buzz with a specific ringtone whenever the alarm was set off, just for emergencies. The pets also have a secret trap door upstairs that they can hide under if they have to. They were always fine, though. We have security cameras in and out of the store too. We really have upgraded it since it's opening.

Before heading home, I decide to stop by the bar. It wasn't too late, so it was still open and the entertainment for the night was performing on stage, surrounded by a crowd of cheering people.

"Hey, Dad," I smiled at my father who was working behind the bar.

"Roxy, where have you been? I told you I needed your help on busy nights now that the Specialists are gone," he frowns. I could tell he missed them, more for the company than the work they did. I forgot I had to start putting in an effort with the bar, too.

"I'm sorry, I was working late at the store, the Winx are gone too so I'm in charge," I explain.

"I thought you hired workers? We agreed you wouldn't overwork yourself, Roxy," he picks up a glass and starts to clean it. No one was coming to the bar as everyone had their eyes glued to the stage.

"Yes, but I love it. I love the pets and I need to make sure those workers are doing their jobs! Well, they're my friends, but you never know with everything that's been going on lately," I shrug.

"Oh, come on, you don't really believe all that nonsense do you? We have nothing to worry about, Rox. Except for this bar," he shakes his head.

"I know, I promise I'll help out," I offer to finish cleaning the dishes while my dad did some other work. I completely forgot that Dad was by himself here!

With me going back and forth to Alfea a few times a week for classes, too, I wasn't sure how I could keep everything up. I took out my phone and texted Tecna, asking her to ask Miss Faragonda to video call me so I could talk to her as soon as possible. I tried to help set up a mobile phone for the Headmistress, but she never really used it. That, or she still didn't know how. She had something for her desk, though, and if she was still working as I had a feeling she would be, she'd be able to take my call.

Tecna, as expected, immediately texts me back, funny you should ask that, we just saw her in the Magic Archive. She said she'll call you as soon as she gets back to the office.

I sighed, that's a relief. If I just explain the situation to her I'm sure she'd let me take some time off classes. I could get some studying in from time to time, hopefully.

I finish up my work and serve a few customers, trying to take as much pressure off my father as possible. The entertainment had now finished and everyone had left. We cleared up all of the tables and washed the dishes. I even set out some things for the next morning, just to help out. I pulled my hair out of my face, tying it back for comfort.

"Roxy, you ready to go?" My dad asks, just before my phone buzzes in my pocket.

"It's Miss Faragonda!" I take out my phone quickly.

"Answer it. You know how to close up, right?" He asks and I nod, "see you at home then."

I answer the phone and the face of the Headmistress appears before me, "Roxy, I heard you wanted to speak with me? Is everything alright?"

"Yes- well, kind of. I might need some time off of school," I say, before explaining everything as to why I can't come back for a while.

She nods solemnly, "I understand. I figured you wouldn't be able to do everything. Seeing as it's my fault the Winx can't work at the shop and it's all for a good cause, of course you can have some time off. If you need any help from the other girls at Alfea please let me know. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to go to Earth and help," she says and we both laugh.

"Thank you so much Miss Faragonda! I promise I won't let you down!" I continue, "I'll come back and visit as much as possible and maybe try a few classes but it won't be long. Dad and I just need some time to figure everything out."

"Don't worry, Roxy, it'll all work out. I'm sure the girls will be back soon, we just need to solve our little issue," she nods at me knowingly, "but I'm sure it's nothing."

"I understand," I nod, "thanks again, Miss."

After the call, I close up the bar and start walking home. The moon sure is bright, I thought, squinting my eyes to look up at the sky. The streets were quiet, just the few people walking around the area I was in.

I gasp as something cold grabs my wrist. I turn around, a girl with black eyes tilts her head to look at me. Frozen in fear, I try to scan the area for anyone else for help. Nobody.

She opens her mouth to speak, but then suddenly closes it. Her eyes squeeze shut and when they open, they're no longer black, but blue. She gasps, as though she's shocked at her actions.

Looking at me with desperate eyes, she breathes out, "-run. You have to go, if you-"

Her eyes suddenly flash black, and then return to blue. She lets out a long breath before her legs collapse and I quickly catch her before she falls to the ground.

"Help!" I call into the night, my voice echoing through the empty streets.