Chapter sixteen - Love me

Liam's POV

I noticed I was awake even before I opened my eyes, very aware of the finger that was trailing along my cheek and the beautiful, breakable voice that was softly singing a familiar song.

There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea

You became the light on the dark side of me

I didn't want to open my eyes, afraid he'd stop singing if he knew I was awake.

Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill

but did you know that when it snows

my eyes become large

and the light that you shine can be seen.

For a blissful minute I forgot about my eyes that were stinging from all the crying I did earlier and the tightness of my skin where the salty tears had been rolling earlier. I couldn't help myself, it was some kind of automatism how my lips started to move along with the chorus, without making a sound.

Baby

I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray, ooh

the more I get of you the stranger it feels, yeah

and now that your rose is in bloom

a light hits the gloom on the grey

“Morning love,” he whispered, pressing his lips to mine, awakening a hunger for more deep inside me. My eyes fluttered open, longing to take in his features and find comfort in his deep blue eyes.

“Hey,” I smiled, almost losing the feeling of sadness and grief that lurked inside me for days now. “I love that song.”

“Me too. And it somehow really fits us, don't you think?” he said softly.

“Yeah, it actually does.”

A comfortable silence fell between us, we just laid there, gazing into each others eyes and enjoying the warmth of our bodies in the cocoon of the blankets we were under.

“Thank you for yesterday” I finally managed to whisper, after contemplating for what felt like hours how I should put it.

“Thank you. For trusting me. And for letting me take care of you. I know it was really hard for you to let me do that.”

“I love you.” It was really all I could reply to that. It held everything I wanted to say about it. Yes, it was extremely hard for me to allow myself to be weak. To have someone else take care of me. But I had to try. I had to succeed, because I loved him. I knew I could trust him not to take advantage of my weakness. If there was anyone who could somehow heal me, even the slightest bit, it was him. That much I was sure of. I looked up at him, noticing how we had somehow both closed the distance between our faces, our mouths now only an inch apart, our breaths mingling. With any other guy, I would've freaked out because of our morning breaths, but with Louis, it just didn't matter. We'd seen each other at our worst, so why would we care about something as trivial as morning breath? I felt how his lips closed around mine, kissing me softly and sweetly. It wasn't a hungry or passionate kiss, but it held such an enormous amount of feelings. My lips moved with his, while caressing his back and trailing patterns on his side, making him squirm a bit when the touch was a bit too feathery so it tickled. He didn't pull away though, but none of us tried to deepen the kiss either. It was perfect the way it was, just showing each other that we understood, that we were there. Both of us now realising that our relationship was no longer about me taking care of Louis, me being the strong one, the rock that couldn't be moved. We were each others strength, leaning on each other when we needed it, and that made us even stronger. All of that lay in that simple, seemingly everlasting kiss.