Chapter Thirty-one - Cry me a river

Harry's POV

"Who died?" he asked. Great choice for your first words after a 24 hour coma, Lou. 

"You, almost, moron. But other than that I'm glad you're back." I smiled and untangled my hand from Niall's before I got up and walked to Louis' bed. 

"You all look terrible."

"Look who's talking. I should go and get you a mirror Lou."

"What happened? Why am I here and why do you all look like I've died?"

I sighed and took a look at Liam who was still sound asleep. He was obviously exhausted and although he would be mad that I hadn't woken him up the second Louis opened his eyes, I wanted to give him a couple more minutes of sleep. "You had an accident on your way home yesterday. It must've been quite a blow because they kept you in an induced coma up until now."

"Oh. That explains why I feel like this." He looked up and saw the wires attached to his chest, flinching as he noticed the bruises and the tube sticking out from between his ribs. "Ugh, looks nasty. Does my face look as bad as my chest?"

"Worse, to be honest."

"Oh crap." He looked down at Liam and smiled before he put his hand on his shoulder and shook it slightly, although it was easy to tell that it took a lot of effort. Liam's head shot up and his eyes widened as he found Louis awake. He got up from his chair and launched himself into Louis' arms.

"Oh Lou, thank god, you're awake. How do you feel, do you have any pain? We should let the nurses know that you're awake! Do you need painkillers? The doctor said you should ask for them if you needed any." he rambled, and I needed to focus hard to understand what he was saying.

"Liam. Shut up. I feel absolutely terrible, and yes I have pain, but it would be a bit better if you could get off my chest. But I'm still here, so calm down."

It was good to see his sassy side was awake also. Liam stood back, looking ashamed for crushing Lou and tears streamed down his face once more, but at least he smiled this time.

"I'll go find a nurse and ask for some pain relief." I smiled at them, Liam stroking Lou's hair while Louis held his other hand. 

"Thanks." Louis said softly before I closed the door behind me, relief flooding through my body now that Louis was awake and seemed reasonably okay. 

Louis' POV

I smiled gratefully at the nurse who put some painkillers in my IV drip and told us the doctor would come to see us first thing in the morning to explain what had happened and how things would go next. Niall had been woken up by Harry and he was quiet, but it was obvious that he was happy I was back. Liam hadn't moved away from my bed ever since I had woken up, and his eyes never even left my face. It was easy to tell he had been scared and was now afraid that if he looked away it would all be a dream and I would've died or something. 

"Bambi, go home and sleep, please?" I asked him for the sixth time since I had woken up. He shook his head and repeated his earlier answer.

"No, I want to stay."

"Please Liam? I'm going to be sleeping anyway, I'm exhausted and the medicine is making me a bit drowsy. I promise I'll still be here in the morning. You look like you could use a good night's sleep. You look horrible. And I mean that in the nicest possible way." He sighed and looked over to Harry and Niall, who tried their hardest to look everywhere but at us.

"Are you sure Boo?" he finally asked, to which I nodded. 

"Yes, Bambi, I'm absolutely positive. I'll see you in the morning when the doctor comes to talk to us. Now just go home, and don't forget to call my mum to assure her I'm doing okay before she goes crazy."