Chapter Twenty - Back home

Louis' POV

I stumbled backwards to the bed, falling down on it as soon as my legs hit the side. My eyes were fixed on piece of paper I held in my shaking hands, reading it over and over again. My mum's neat and even handwriting started to blur a few seconds before a drop lands on the first line, making me realise I was crying. The mattress next to me dipped and I soon felt Liam's arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. His shirt was drenched with my tears by the time my shaking had subsided, his hand rubbing soothing circles on my back.

“I- I'm sorry Li.” I hiccuped, my breathing still hitched from sobbing.

“Shhhh, it's fine love. But it is good news though, right?”

I managed to produce a small smile and nodded at him, wiping the last few remaining tears from my eyes. “Y-yeah. It is. I'm just a bit shaken up.”

He smiled back, pulled me up and guided me to the living room. He pulled back a chair and motioned me to sit down, kissed me and got into the kitchen to get our dinner, that was probably cold by now. I heard the beeps from the microwave and watched him reappear with two plates. Apart from the fact that I hated reheated food, I didn't really feel hungry, so I ended up pushing my mashed potatoes around my plate along with the sausage, only having a few bites of the carrots.

Liam sighed when he put down his cutlery, looking at me with weary eyes. “Come on Lou, I'm getting you to bed.”

He was cute, tucking me in and stroking my hair until I drifted off to sleep.

I stood waiting at the train station, my eyes locked on the announcement board, waiting for the letter next to the train I was waiting for to change into A for arrived. The anticipation was starting to kill me as I paced back and forth, finally deciding to walk to the platform that they would arrive on. It took only five more minutes for the train to pull into the station. I stood on my tiptoes, trying to spot them between the passengers that filed out of the train. “Lottie!” I shouted, frantically waving at my eldest sister who was walking next to our mother. She didn't hear me, looking straight ahead as she walked towards the great hall. “Lottie!” I yelled again, trying to get her attention. Both her and my mother walked past me without even looking up at my calls. I ran behind them and put my hand upon my sister's shoulder, making her turn around. She squinted her eyes as she looked at me and huffed. “Louis, please. You didn't really think I was here to see you, did you? I'll never forgive you for what you've done. You can go rot in hell for all I care.” Mum laughed hard at her statement, taking Lottie's hand as she brushed mine off her shoulder and pulled her along to the exit. Tears were streaming down my face as I watched them leave.

My eyes shot open and I felt how my pillow was drenched in tears, again. I silenced a sob in the dark room, finding Liam asleep next to me. A look on my phone learned it was only 4am, but I was sure I wouldn't be able to sleep after that horrible dream. It had triggered my thoughts about home. Would my sisters ever be able to forgive me for screwing up? I wasn't even sure the twins would remember me, as they were pretty young when I had left. They'd be almost 8 by now, I couldn't even imagine how much they would've grown by now. I kept tossing and turning until my alarm clock went off. Grateful for the excuse to get out of bed, I quickly showered and jumped on my bike to work, not sure how I would get through the rest of the day.

Liam's POV

I giggled at Niall's silly face when I downed my third glass of sangria. It was Friday night, Louis was working until 8 tonight for some stupid reason I didn't remember, and we were out, celebrating the end of our exams and the start of Summer Holidays. I had chosen to ignore Harry's warning about not eating the fruit, since that soaked up all the alcohol, and felt already more than slightly drunk, to the amusement of my two companions. By the time Louis called me to retrieve the details on our location, I couldn't stop giggling, earning me a smirk from my boyfriend when he locked his bike on a nearby lantern before coming over, kissing me and slumping down on the seat next to me.