Chapter 13: Pain.

Literally I felt like crap. Not just because of the injury, but also because of my own thoughts. I couldn't keep myself from crying. I had luck. I could be paralyzed. Two centimetres. Two centimetres more and my dream would be totally over.

Lucía was with me the most of the time but I send her away, she needed to sleep and I didn't want her to fall asleep on those uncomfortable looking chairs. She wasn't really happy about it but she left.

But even if I was alone, sleeping wasn't really possible.

At the end I had made it to sleep a bit but I still felt totally exhausted as I got woken up by the medical inspections.

Later the day they told me, that they would fly me home; there I would be able to recover better than here in this hospital. After all, why should I stay in Fortaleza, while the team would be leaving soon too?

As Lucía showed up in my room, I felt better. All those unknown doctors and nurses were annoying me. I could see the worry in her eyes, as she looked at me. I knew that she probably could see that I didn't really have a good night. My eyes probably showed the pain I was still feeling. Not the pain in my back, for that I had gotten enough different medications.

"Hey handsome." She said, and sat down on the chair next to my bed, while taking my hand in hers. "Hello beautiful." I said, and slightly smiled at her.

"The questions how you feel ... feels so wrong to ask so I won't... but I hope you're feeling better a bit." She mumbled quietly and I slightly nodded. I crossed our fingers together. "It feels good seeing you." I said honest and looked at her, a slight smile spread on her lips.

"I've heard they'll be taking you to São Paulo today?" I nodded slightly.

"Yeah... they think it'd be better for me if I'm around my family." She nodded as she heard my words and looked at our united hands. I thought about it. I really did think about it if I should ask her to come with me but she was here because of the World Cup... and when I'd ask her if she'd come with me... she would need to watch the matches on TV... Taléia would be alone... and Taléia needed a friend at the moment.... her 'best' friend wasn't really useful at the moment. I couldn't be selfish.

I was about to say something as a nurse came in with a wheelchair. I shivered. I had been so close to spend the rest of my life in such a chair. With help I made it to sit down on it, trying not to do any big movements because of my back.

"Lucía?" I looked at her, as she stopped next to me.

"Yes?" She looked at me questioning.

"Could you do me a favour? I'd love to do a video for my fans." I said and she smiled slightly. "I'll help you with it." I was glad I didn't have to explain each single detail. She got it right away. Probably she had read those comments and saw pictures that had been posted. I was curious and someone had brought me my phone. I had to see what was going on, on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. I had tried to focus on the positive things. It wasn't really helpful for my state of mood to read negative things.

The nurse was everything else than happy about it but she helped us finding a 'quiet' place, not that it was so loud but the sounds of some devices were pretty loud and I didn't want to scare my fans.

I spoke from my heart, I was literally feeling pain saying that my dream has ended for now but my dream isn't totally over yet. I still would have the chance to fulfil my dream in the next World Cup and that I was hoping for my team that they would do great against Germany and reach the final. Without me. I smiled into the camera; I could not start crying again. They had seen me crying enough yesterday after I got carried away from the field. I wanted to show them that I was 'good' and that they didn't need to worry too much.

I could see that Lucía was about to cry while she listened what I said and she bit her bottom lip, to prevent it from trembling. She stopped the recording a few seconds after I stopped talking.

"Come here." I said and grabbed her hand, as soon as I could reach it. She leaned down to me and put her lips on mine. It felt good, feeling her lips on mine. Kissing her made me feel good. She pulled away, as we heard voices approaching and soon we were surrounded by the guys and ofc Taléia.

I talked to all of them and joked a bit around. I needed them to focus on the World Cup and not worrying about me... I knew them to well... I knew they could not just get over this like nothing happened. They all knew how important this has been for me.

They got send away. It was about time to leave. I said good-bye to all of them and said I'll be going on their nerves soon again. They shouldn't miss me. I could see that Lucía wanted to come with me, that she wanted me to ask her, if she'd come to São Paulo but I didn't. I said good-bye to her. I'd call her as soon as I could. I didn't feel comfortable by leaving my team behind but I didn't really have a choice.

The days went by, and I tried to focus myself... on myself. I tried not to think of the upcoming match of the team against Germany. I hoped they would do fine.

I was lying on the couch, while Davi was sitting on the floor right in front of the couch I was lying and Carolina was sitting on an armchair. She had come over because Davi had insisted. That poor little guy was worried about me, he had seen how I got injured and I wished he hadn't. I didn't want to know what went through his head as I was lying on the ground, racked with pain.

I tousled his hair, which caused him to look up at me. "Excited for the match?" I asked and he shrugged. "You're not playing." He said and looked down on his toy car. I could tell that he was sounding sad about it. I guess he could feel that I wasn't happy about that fact too.

"But our friends will be playing and they need our support." I said and looked further at him. He looked back at me, and blinked a few times. "They can't win without you. They're losers without you."

"Davi!" Carolina said shocked and I frowned.

"Why do you say something like that? You know they're all great players."

He shrugged. "Everyone is saying that." I took a deep breath. He probably had listened too, while I was listening the news. The people loved saying that Brazil was nothing without their superstar.

"They'll do well without me." I said and he pouted and looked down on his toy car. He wasn't convinced. Perfect. Media already had an influence of my little son.

I didn't think I could regret my own words a half hour later. It was a 'disaster'. Germany humiliated them awfully. None of the guys had deserved that.

"Papaiii." I heard Davi calling me and looked away from the screen over to him. "Don't watch it it makes you sad." He put his hand on my cheek and I smiled slightly at him. He was sitting on his knees, and had turned his back to the TV screen. "I'm fine." I pulled him close to kiss him shortly on his soft cheek. He put his forehead on mine. "Germany is bad." He said and I stroked over his head.
"They're playing well." I said. I couldn't say something bad about Germany; I didn't want to influence Davi on that. At least not in the bad way but he didn't like Germany anymore. Not after what they just did to our team... to our friends.

Carolina stood up and lifted Davi up. "Time to eat something Sweetheart." She said.

"Papaii needs to eat something too!" Davi said, looking down to me. "I'll be eating soon too. Don't worry." I said and winked at him. Carolina left with him and I watched the match to the end.

I felt an awful pain in my heart, seeing the guys sad like that. I wished I could be there too. We were a team, like brothers and it felt just awful to see them being so 'destroyed'. I turned the TV off and grabbed my phone. I needed to call Lucía. 

Hearing her voice would help me at least to calm down a bit, and the pain I felt relieve a little.