Chapter Fifteen

Hailee's POV

"If I couldn't escape, what makes you think I can help you?" Eleanor says and I start to get irritated.

"Can we at least try?! If there was someone here with you, you have wanted them to help you too! Please Eleanor! I can't be in here any longer! I want to go home!" My voice breaks and tears begin falling down my face.

Eleanor groans and looks around the room when her eyes suddenly land on something tall behind me. I turn around to find her eyes on the little window leading outside. The sun looks like it's beginning to set behind the trees, which means it's around five or six in the evening. Her eyes are already on me when I turn back to her.

I look around the room in search of something to stand on, but there aren't many options. I decide on a wooden stool that looks tall enough to help me climb out of the window since I'm pretty short. I set the stool in front of the window and step up. 

The window shows me that Eleanor was right, this house is in the woods. Trees surround the area and there is no sign of cars or pedestrians anywhere. If I can't escape now, no one is gonna find me at all.

I unlatch the window and it loudly creaks open as I push it. I stop and look over to Scarlett to make sure the creaky window didn't wake her from her slumber. Luckily, it didn't.

I continue to push the window open until it looks like I can fit through it. I look back to Eleanor who is staring directly at me but then I realize she's looking out the window.

"I wish I would've been able to get out." She says, more to herself than to me. I look back outside and think about the way Eleanor must've felt when Adam caught her escaping.  

"I hope this works." I say as I lift myself through the opening of the window. My body is skinny enough to fit through easily. I pull against the ground to move my body out of the basement.

I get my torso out of the opening to the window and I suddenly feel my legs being pulled back through the window. I gasp when I turn around.

"Scarlett?" Her eyes snap up at me when I say her name. "Scarlett! Let go of me!" I say as she continues to pull both of my legs. Why is she doing this? 

I pull against the large root of the tree to get loose of her grip but her grip isn't loosening at all. As she tugs on my legs even harder, I loose my grip on the root. My clothes began to rip as I was dragged across the ground.

Scarlett pulls hard one more time and my body slips through the window, making me land flat on my back onto the concrete floor. I gasped for air as it seemed that all the air in the room had escaped. I lean up to get more air in my lungs.

"ADAM!" Scarlett shouts and I look her dead in the eyes. Her eyes look darker than they've ever been. Who is this girl and what did she do with the Scarlett I met a few days ago?

The door swings open and I look over towards the staircase to find Adam taking his time walking down the stairs, obviously in no rush. As Adam steps down onto the last stair, he looks directly at me. 

"Why is she on the floor?" He asks, confused. After what feels like forever, his eyes move to Scarlett who is standing there with her arms crossed over at her chest. She points toward the window which is still open. Adam chuckles and looks back down at the ground.

"Why do they always go for the windows? Like seriously." Adam says, looking back up at Scarlett.

"Maybe becuase people think of the first way to get out of a freaking basement!" I piped up. Both of their eyes shot down at me. Adam crouched down next to me.

"What makes you think you can talk?" He said in a cocky tone.

His face holds a smirk up until I speak back up."What are you gonna do about it?" I say in the same cocky tone he had and it affected him. He slowly stands back up and looks towards Scarlett who is looking from Adam to me with a concerned look on her face. Why is she concerned about me? She's the one who stopped me from escaping just to call down her brother to tell on me and now she's concerned!?

Adam looks back down at me."I would keep your mouth shut if you want to see your boyfriend later." Liam? What?

"What?" I say confused.

"Your little boyfriend and I are supposed to meet up at the boating docks around 7 and I'm supposed to bring you. So I suggest you keep your mouth shut." He says. He told Liam to meet him at the boating docks? Why would he do that?

"Why?" My voice changes from confused to concern. What is he gonna tell Liam? Is Scarlett gonna come with us? Is she gonna tell Liam that he's her nephew?

"That's for me to know and you to find out." I shudder as he says the words. Those were the same words he texted me.

"Is she coming too?" I ask, pointing towards Scarlett. His eyes look to Scarlett and then back to me.

"Yes." He says flatly. I look to Scarlett. Her lips are in a firm line and her eyes are on Adam."We have to talk." He tells her and she looks down to me and then back to Adam. She nods and follows Adam as he walks up the stairs, leaving me downstairs alone.