Chapter Twenty-Five

Hailee's POV

I slip into my black high heels as Liam walks into my bedroom. He's buttoning the cuff links on his suit sleeve and he's got a concentrated expression on his face.

"Here, let me help you," I say to him with a small smile on my face. He looks up, defeated, and hands me his wrist. I button it quickly and I smile up at him when I'm done.

I walk over to the full length mirror leaning against the wall to check how I look. My knee-length, black dress fits me well and looks professional, my black platform heels complementing the look. My blonde hair is curled tightly and cascades down my back. I take a deep breath and exhale as I stare at my reflection.

"Are you okay?" Liam asks. I didn't realize he was standing behind me. My eyes meet his in the mirror and I turn around to face him.

"I'm fine," I say and adjust his collar. He takes my hands in his and brings them away from him. I look up at him. His gorgeous face is twisted into a sad look. I sigh. "Okay, maybe not. It's just... Hard to be in this house without them, you know?" My heart stings at my mention of my parents not being here anymore. Liam pulls me into his arms.

"Oh, baby, I know. I know," he says into my hair. I tell myself not to cry as I feel tears forming under my closed eyelids. I take another deep breath, inhaling Liam's new cologne. It smells better than the last one and I love it.

"We should probably get going," I say as I pull away from Liam's arms. He says a quick "Okay," and grabs my purse off my bed. I take his hand and we walk downstairs together. The house is so eerily quiet that I rush Liam out the door.

With my parents gone, I've been staying with Liam. I couldn't bear sleeping alone in my own house without having the comfort of my mom's kiss goodnight on my forehead or my dad's casual check-in before he went to bed. Everything just feels empty. Liam's parents, however, have taken me under their wing and I can't thank them enough. They've helped me mourn and have done their own grieving themselves.

My parents' funeral was hard for all of us. It was more of a memorial, rather than a funeral. They didn't want anything big.

The most difficult part of the whole event was the fact that my parents are actually gone and we were recognizing it for the first time. It's heartbreaking. The day won't just be another day on the calendar anymore.

I don't even realize we've arrived to the courthouse until Liam's hand squeezes my bare thigh gently. "You ready?" He asks, his eyes stone.

Am I ready? Yes. Right inside those doors, I will watch Judge Anderson plead Adam guilty.

I nod.

-
"Hailee, I am going to ask you a few questions. All I need you to do is answer with a simple yes or no," Judge Anderson states, monotone.

"Okay."

"Did Adam Matthews kidnap you?" She asks. Well, that's a stupid question. Would we be doing this right now if he hadn't kidnapped me?

"Yes," I say. I don't dare to look over at the man who is the cause of this. Adam has been quiet the entire time he's been in this room. A friend of his is here as his witness, which surprises me. Why wouldn't he have brought his sister? I wonder what story he's made up as his alibi. My body is tense.

"Did Adam attempt to rape you at any point?" Judge Anderson questions. I hear Liam's breath hitch and I know he's uncomfortable, so I grab his hand under the table. Judge Anderson's deep green eyes remind me of Adam's and it's hard to keep eye contact with her.