| 34 | Rescue (pt.1)

'No,' said my brother

'No,' said my brother. 'No. That can't be.'

'The truth hurts,' said Malum. 'Have you ever wondered who that woman is? The woman who taunts you in your dreams and everywhere you go?'

'That's . . . That's Elvira?'

'Sightless, are we?' Malum said, tsking. 'The clues were all there. I proclaimed the truth about Ryker Lordaire, now let's move onto the others. Drama is wonderful.'

Malum averted her attention to me. 'I don't have any secrets,' I told her. 'Or anything unusual about me. I'm a Starseed just like everyone else.'

Malum merely waved her hand. 'Nonsense. Everybody has juicy tales.'

From a few feet away, the daughter of Elvira Thornheart suddenly materialised beside me. Jayden immediately stepped forward, prepared to hammer the dead-white girl, when Malum raised her hand. As much I endeavoured to shove her away, her fingers brushed my arm.

Suddenly, Malum released a thunderous scream that quavered the building, dust plummeting from the helix ceiling. As if an invisible hand assaulted her, Malum withdrew from me, soaring across the living room and battering into the closest ancient grey wall.

Breathing profoundly, she shakily lifted to her feet, her black eyes gazing at me with astonishment and perplexity. 'Impossible,' she murmured.

My heart rate quickened, anxious of what is to come. Anxious of what she will do next. The metallic band clasping my wrist, isn't is supposed to torture me if I use my powers?

'You . . .' She looked at Jayden, then at Noelle, then at Ryker, and finally at me. 'You four . . .' Her eyes amplified, flashing with bitterness, abomination and disbelief. 'GUARDS!' she roared. 'Murder these four kids. In fact, devour them. Rip their flesh off their bones and devour them.'

The guards whom escorted us to the living room, moved from their locations beside the main propped-open doors, growling with appreciation at their leader's phrases. 'Yes, Lady Malum,' they hissed in unison. 'It is our pleasure.'

Jayden teleported next to me, and so did my brother, Noelle and Uncle Davis.

'What happened?' said Jayden, staring at me. 'What did you do?'

'I . . . I don't know.' I stared at my hands, as if expecting them to answer the truth.

'The bands must be weak to torture you,' Uncle Davis told me. 'They are designed to prevent Starseeds from using our abilities.'

Registering my uncle's words, I grabbed the band and yanked it off. The metallic wristband snapped into two pieces, falling to the floor. I helped by taking the other's wristbands off.

The three guards advanced. Ryker clenched his fists which ruptured into roaring flames, and he hurled his fire at the nearing Demons. They ducked, the balls of fire soaring above their heads and hitting the grey walls, scorching.