| 10 | Dinner

"Nobody?" I echoed

"Nobody?" I echoed. "Not even God?"

The end of Thaddeus's lips twitched. "He can most definitely kick your butt out of existence."

"Oh," I mumbled in a small voice, feeling heat rushing to my cheeks. Gosh, I'm so dumb.

"However, perhaps having this title is part of His plan," Thaddeus added.

"No offense, Thaddeus," I say, "but I don't believe in a guy living in the sky. I had some things that . . . killed my faith. But I'm also unsure sometimes so I'm agnostic."

Thaddeus smiled respectfully. "I understand your reasons. Your mother was the same – she was an agnostic just like you. Your father, however, was religious ever since he was a kid."

"Did you know my parents for a long time?"

"Of course. They were my students in the Academy."

"Dad said you're like a father to him."

Thaddeus's smile becomes heart-warming. "Really? Well, that's nice of him to say. I suppose I was like one – I tried to be like one, at least, considering what happened to his parents."

Dad's parents died. I don't know how. All I know is that they died during an explosion. His parents worked in a gas station and it somehow exploded. Then, Dad had to go into a foster system and he was adopted by Eli Thatcher and Lily Thatcher. Dad decided to keep his biological father's surname. Lordaire.

"Does Ryker know about this?" I enquired.

"I don't know. I think he does. Doesn't he live with your uncle?" How does Thaddeus know that? "I know a lot," Thaddeus said.

A thought occurred to me and I properly turned to look at the middle-aged man. "Thaddeus, what does the Demons want with me? Do I have, like, a power to free this Malefic person?"

Thaddeus contemplated temporarily. "I don't think you can free the Malefic. She's imprisoned in Hell. The Regime imprisoned her –"

"The Regime?"

"They're the Lower Governors. The Higher Governors are the new generation of the Assembly of Light – which aren't, unfortunately, revealed into the universe. Yet.

"Anyway, the Regime imprisoned the Malefic due to the woman's atrocious actions of actually beginning this conflict between Angels and Demons. She opened the Netherworld Gates and permitted the Demons to spill into the lands of the mortal world and terrorise it.

"We've been fighting the Demons for more than five centuries. We're more than exhausted – we want to pass this world to the afterlife where we can rest for eternity."

"Is there a way to stop all of this?"

"Yes. Around the 1600s, the Prophecy Pebble proclaimed something about a Starseed closing the Gates."