*| 16 | Challenge

When I left the office, Thaddeus stayed back behind

When I left the office, Thaddeus stayed back behind. I contemplated about leaving, to mind their business, but I know they're nattering about me. So, I stayed back for a while.

"Are you out of your mind, Sparks?" Thaddeus hollered. "Letting a innocent, vulnerable child go when she has no experience whatsoever?"

"Thaddeus, Aqua is a strong young woman," Sparks remarked. "She has a good relationship with martial arts. She can defend herself."

"She can't control her powers. If she goes out there to the human world, God knows what damage she could cause!"

"You are underestimating her, Thaddeus. You know what I think about judgmental people."

"Sparks, I've known Aqua all my life. I was there at her baptism, at all her birthdays. I raised her father. Aqua has a habit of letting her emotions get a hold of her. When she's emotional, she can be recklessly dangerous. I knew her parents –"

"I knew her parents as well," Sparks snapped. "It doesn't make a difference."

"Her parents don't trust you," Thaddeus said. "They don't trust anyone at this school but me. I promised Christian that Aqua will be perfect under my care. If you let her go, knowing she's inexperienced, Christian will come after you."

"He's not here, so I don't really need to be threatened or concerned about the Thaumaturge," Sparks muttered. "And for your information, Mr. Lytle, Aqua is under my care since she is in my school. I have responsibility of what will happen to her, and I already made my decision."

Silence.

Then, Thaddeus said, "Did you –"

"Yes, I've contacted them, Lytle. They're busy with a variety of things, but they promised a visit. The Regime will come and meet the daughter of the Thaumaturge. They will come in a couple of weeks. I won't be planning to let Aqua Lordaire. They ordered that no one else should know about Aqua. I spoke to every child – if they dare slip any piece of information to the city or to the world, they will suffer terrible consequences..."

"Hey!"

I flinched and whipped around to see an adult.

"Wha' ya doin' out here, kid?" he demanded. "Shouldn't ya be in lesson?"

"Y-yeah," I stammered. "I was just, uh, looking for the toilets."

He narrowed his eyes. "The toilets ain't upstairs, kid, they're downstairs."

"Oh, um, okay, I better get going before I piss myself."

I speed-walked down the corridor, replaying what I just heard in Headmistress Sparks' office. It seems that even the nicest-looking people can be the most evil. I remember Sparks mentioning that it'll take them a few weeks to come to the Academy. Well, I hope it'll be longer than a few weeks. I need to find a way to get to Dad before the Regime comes.