| 29 | Light

Aqua surprised me by endowing a hug

Aqua surprised me by endowing a hug. "You killed them?"

I smiled, hugging her back. "I sent them back to Hell."

Thank goodness she didn't question how. Jayden resumed sleeping, and Aqua decided to follow his actions by walking to her tent. I would go and get some rest, though I have other plans.

I went to Noelle's tent.

Ever since the night of that party, ever since I cold-bloodedly killed the bully Adam, Noelle knew about my dark energy. She knew I was possessed, and I believe that Davis had a discussion with her whilst I was recovering from the great release during the birthday celebration. However, Noelle never witnessed my true colours.

Until today.

I want to talk to her. I want to know if she really does trust me, even when she knows that I am a beast.

Parting the folds, I caught a glimpse of her sitting on the sleeping bag. She glanced up when the light of the moon kissed her skin. Her eyes glinted with uneasiness. "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I want to talk," I said, sitting in front of her with a tiny space between us. "About what happened."

Noelle remained hushed. Her auburn hair was tied up into a cluttered bun, and in all honesty, she looked gorgeous.

"You know what I am ever since the party," I begun, "ever since I killed Adam. You knew how much dark energy I have.' I forced my eyes to fasten with hers – green fused with brown, swirling with valour and fortitude, splendour and elegance. 'You know that I'm a monster. I've been one ever since I stabbed my mother."

"You stabbed your mother?" she said, horrified.

"On my sister's seventh birthday there was a Nether in our house. An evil spirit. And . . . well, the spirit possessed me and used my body to stab my mother. That spirit was with me for a couple of months, then it left and another one possessed me. Then, I was possessed again, and this time the Nether's pets are the snakes you saw."

Her shoulders were bare, with only two thin straps that belonged to her shirt. "Were you blaming yourself for stabbing your mother?"

"Yeah . . . all the damn time."

"You shouldn't. God, Ryker, you are actually dumb."

I blinked, surprised. "What?" I thought she would do something other than remark me with insults.

"You are actually dumb," she duplicated, emphasising the last word. "It wasn't your fault, Ry. You were possessed. You didn't have control over your own body. It wasn't your fault."

"You're actually calm with this?" I said, gobsmacked.

Noelle smiled. "Do you want me to be calm?"

"Well . . . yeah, but –"