Chapter 9: Continued

"He's just a friend sweetie, nothing to worry about,"

I hung up. I knew what she meant and I hated it. I hated her. How could I forget about my supernatural roots anyways and become attached to a human? How could she do this to my dad. 

No. He's not my dad. How could she do this to my best friend? He was always there for me, and when he finds out I hope he kills that dude she was with. As a matter of fact, I will. I'm going home. I'm going to see her.

I started running as fast as I could and I heard people yelling my name after me.

"Jake, just let her calm down, she'll be fine, trust me," I heard Jane tell Jake. She knew me well-she was right. I would calm down and I was done with boys and men. They only use you. Like that guy who's with my "mom," he's only using her. 

I sat down by a pond and I suddenly knew I had company. The smell of whoever it was, smelled good. It was a strong musty scent, I knew it like I've smelled it before. Then I knew instantly-it was Pierce.

What could he possibly want now? He's the LAST person I want to see.

"You okay?" He asked, genuinely sounding concerned. Why was he concerned?

"Get away from me, I hate you," I didn't really hate him-I was just hurt. But I needed him to think I hated him.

"How ironic, because I don't hate you. As a matter of fact, I love you,"

"Oh yeah for sure, yeah totally uhm! Clap clap, you're lying again," My sarcasm was legit and I liked it- I had a baddie type attitude, it was cool.

"See, that's the funny thing. I'm not lying. You, on the other hand, are lying. You're lying to yourself, M. We all know you can't love a guy you literally just met. He doesn't love you back, come on! What a joke, you can read people, so read him. He's dated a lot of your friends, you just haven't heard of him until now. Do you really wanna be with someone like that? Someone that claims they love you just to hook up with you? Yeah, I made mistakes but I truly do care about you. You were my first love and you honestly always will be, it's a fact. Sorry if it bothers you," He had a point. You can't love someone you just met.

"I guess you're right, you can't love someone you just met," 

"Mary, do you love me back?" His voice was serious but sweet.

"Yes," the words spilled out before I could even think of what I was saying. Why'd I say that?

Pierce kissed me. Like if we were dating, but I wouldn't blame him, I did just say I loved him.

Oh no, I could feel it. Someone was watching us. Or, better said, people were watching us. Pierce seemed to sense it too, and so we both pulled away and turned.

Jake was there. So was Jane. So was Sarah, Eddie, Luna, Sierra, and everyone else. But I only seemed to notice Jake. Hurt filled his eyes, and I realized they had been there the whole time. He'd heard when I said I didn't truly love him and when I said I loved Pierce. He'd seen the kiss, his heart had been shattered.

"Jake it's not what you thi-," I tried finishing my sentence but he wouldn't let me.

"Save it, I don't want to hear your lies. Don't even dare speak to me again," His voice cracked- was he about to cry? Then in a heartbeat-literally-he was gone. He'd never run so fast, or that's what it seemed like.

"Jane, I," She wouldn't even let me talk.

"How could you, Mary. You knew he was crazy about you and had a major crush on you. Why would you lead him on like that? Do you know what you've done? You know this never happens, and you even said that you felt a strong connection to him. You hurt him, Mary. And it takes A LOT to hurt him," She sounded pissed and depressed at the same time.

Everyone was staring at us- Pierce and me- and didn't say a word. Their facial expressions didn't help the situation, and Pierce disappearing didn't either. He literally left me sitting there- what a jerk!

"Listen, Mary, he um, actually really liked you, ya know? Like, yeah you wouldn't be so attached to someone you just met but, you led him on. He told you about his ex girlfriend and look, now you hurt him just as bad as she did. We thought you cared," Luna said.

I got up, with my face burning and the tears trying to cool it off. I found myself suddenly dashing through the trees trying to find Jake. 

"JAKE! JAKE!" I was praying he'd hear me and let me talk to him. I was screaming because I needed to make him feel better.

But then I screaming for another reason.

"JAKE HELP ME! JAKE PLEASE! SOMEONE HELP ME!"