Chapter 13- Who's That?

Melrose’s P.O.V

“Bye guys.” Juno’s uncle said as he descended from the stairs.

He looked really nice. He was wearing a grey suit as he was going on a date. Juno told me this was Terry’s-Juno’s uncle- first date since his wife had died, over five years ago.

I had been round Juno’s house most of the weekend. Friday because of the party. Saturday because I ended walking around to his house, and found out one of Juno’s biggest secrets. Sunday (today) because Juno asked if I wanted to come around.

“Bye.”

“Bye Terry.” I replied politely. Terry turned and flashed us a smile before walking towards the door.

“Good luck.” Juno called out.

Juno had been completely different since yesterday. He acted like a life-long friend around me now- not that I was complaining. Also Juno smiled a lot more and he looked so much better with a smile. 

“Come with me!” Juno demanded, holding his hand out.

I grabbed hold of it and let Juno pull me out the chair. He dragged me outside and I stopped shooting him a quizzical look.

Juno smiled and pointed up to the tree in the backyard. I studied the tree and then realised what Juno was pointing at.

There stood proudly in the tree was a tree house. The summer leaves surrounded the tree house like a barrier. There were poles attached to ropes to help people climb to the very top of the magnificent tree house. A small swing hung at the bottom. The swing still rocked with the gently blowing, breeze.

“Wanna go to the top?” Juno asked smirking. I nodded dumbfounded. All my childhood I wanted a tree house so badly, but I was never allowed one because we kept moving. 

Juno allowed me to climb up the stairs first. Once I got to the top, I saw the view. I could literally see most of the neighbourhood. In addition, because Terry’s house backed onto a wheat field you could see the whole thing.

Juno came and stood next to me “Amazing right?”

I nodded again, seeming to have lost all ability to speak.

We stayed in the tree before Juno swore he could hear the doorbell. We swiftly left the tree house and made our way back to the house.

Juno answered the door “Uh-hi?” Juno asked, unsure.

“Hi there. I’m Hunter Blue from Blue’s Air-conditioning services. Your uncle had arranged for me to fix your air-conditioning.” a voice said.

Juno allowed him in but said, “Surely my uncle would have told me.”

“He didn’t?” The air-conditioning man gasped, “Well your uncle said that you would be wary but said to me to tell you that it’s cool.”

Juno shrugged “We have one unit down here in the kitchen and one upstairs by the restroom.” The air-conditioning man flashed me a smile and made his way to the kitchen.

“I find it weird that Terry didn’t tell you.” I said as soon as Juno sat down.

Juno had a frown tweaking his lips. “Same and it’s not in his nature just to forget either.” he told.

Minutes after he had left, Hunter returned to the front room. “Not the kitchen unit, must been the upstairs one.” he muttered.

He jogged upstairs and out of sight, with his equipment jingling.