chapter 12

ACE POV

Anya was right; I acted that way because Rya caught me in a vulnerable state. A side that I never thought I would have shown to anyone. Ever since Rya came into my life with the baby, they are all I can think about. To be honest, I never thought about having kids, at least not for now. I just wasn't ready to face that responsibility, even though it was definitely required of me to get married and have kids so that I could carry on the lineage of the Vasiliev family. I was young and not sure if I was ready, but now that it has unexpectedly happened, I think I will be a great father, even if it was with a woman I didn't really know.

I did a background check on her and got a few pieces of information, but I'm afraid that wasn't enough. There is something that I have yet to find out about this beautiful girl, Rya.

 There is something that I have yet to find out about this beautiful girl, Rya

I was in my office, and Rya was asleep upstairs. I opened my drawer, then took photos of the ultrasound. I guess it was mean of me to keep them away from her, but she'll be doing another checkup soon at the family doctor, so I thought it was okay to keep them. I left the office with it in my hand, then went back to the room.

I looked over at Rya sleeping peacefully on my side of the bed. A small smile came to my face when I saw her all snuggled up with her pillow while hers was thrown to the other side. I placed the ultrasound sound down beside her so she could see it. I was about to walk away when I heard her whimper. I turned to look at her and knitted my eyebrows together in confusion when I saw tears rolling down her cheeks. Was she crying? Is it because of me? Was it because I was being mean to her?

So many questions were running through my head. How did I end up caring so much for a human being other than my family, especially my sister? We might fight sometimes, but we both love each other. I was heartless when it came to other people, but Rya What have you done to me? You've only been here for a month. When I first laid eyes on you, there were only two words that invaded my thoughts.

Protect her
Protect her

I was truly trying my best, but the mafia in me says no. I'm greatly feared and respected among my people. I'm very cunning and willing to do everything in my power, even if I have to kill people and do illegal stuff just to get my way, so that my life and the profits of my organization can be better.

My father grew up and trained me to be ruthless, intelligent, cunning, ambitious, and possess many other skills in order to rule and be at the top of the ladder. But my father also found love, and so can I. My mom was just like my dad; she knew how to control and operate a business, but Rya, right here, was different. I can tell she's more soft and kind, and I know for a fact that whatever she does or whatever changes she makes, I'll soften up to her and adapt to these changes.

So how can I tone down my ways so I can make her feel comfortable, make her feel more loved, and make her want to marry me, even to bear more children? Before marrying me, she has to take an oath and swear to secrecy that she will not break the omertà. I don't want to rush her into anything that will make her feel uncomfortable, so I'll have to truly try my best.

She's changing you already, and she hasn't even been with you for that long. Don't fall in love.

Who said anything about love? It's fate, and I like her. She's beautiful and worthy of carrying my child, and she'll also fit perfectly for the position of my wife. Also, she did run a business, which I bought and took over when I kidnapped her. She couldn't let her shit go to waste when she probably worked hard to maintain it.

Keep telling yourself that. Love has no limits. You can fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time.

"No, please don't," I heard her whisper, and I sat down on the bed, then hesitantly placed my hand in the small of her back.

"Rya," I softly called while making circles in her back with my hand. "Wake up," I said, and her eyes fluttered open. "Why are you crying?" I asked in a deep yet calm voice. When she realized it, she quickly wiped away her tears.

"It's nothing, just a bad dream," she said as she stared up at me through wet lashes. She tucked the loose strand that was hanging in her face behind her ear. Her cheeks were slightly flushed; why did she have to look so cute?

"Was it about me?" I asked, then cleared my throat while looking down at the floor. I was hoping that she would say no because I would feel really bad. She looked at me, and a small smile came to her face. Why was she smiling?

"No, it was about my parents," she said, then shrugged it off like it was nothing, and I raised one eyebrow. What could she possibly be dreaming about her parents, which made her all scared and crying?

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, and she shook her head. Thank God, I'm not really good at listening to these things. "I left something for you right there," I said, and she looked to her side. Her eyes lit up, and she hugged me tightly. I was shocked but immediately relaxed and embraced her.

"Yay, thank you," she said, then pulled back. Rya was acting like a kid who got something that they really wanted, and I found it amusing. It was just an ultrasound, and she was this happy. Imagine when the baby gets here. Wait, there is one missing," she said, then eyed me suspiciously.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said, and she giggled.

"Fine, you can keep that one," she said, then smiled. She had the most beautiful and amazing smile. The way her eyes smiled and her nose scrunched, I swear she's like an angel. "Is the phone ready as yet?" She asked with her head tilted to the side and a smile playing on her lips.

"Oh, right, here," I said as I handed the phone to her. A lot of features were disabled on the phone, so there was not much that she could do. Maybe as soon as I can trust her enough and she takes the oath, I'll let her do anything she wants with it.

"I added a few games you might like," I said while scratching the back of my head, and she nodded.

"Okay," Rya said, then immediately began texting on her phone. I'll read her messages later.

"How are you feeling now? Are you hungry? Do I need to get you anything?" I asked, and she looked up at me.

"No, I'm fine, but I'll let you know," she said with a smile, and I nodded and stood up. I'll just go have a bath and then get back to work. A knock sounded on the door, and both of us looked up.

"Enter," I said, and Dmitri walked in.

"Wait, you're the guy that came up to me," Rya said with shock written all over her face.

"Oh yeah, it's Dmitri," Dmitri said as he nervously laughed. Yeah, sorry about that, bosses order," Dmitri said, then shrugged.

"Dmitri, did you report on Popov? Did he sign the contract?" I asked, and Dmitri nodded. Okay, let's discuss it in my office," I said, and we left the room.
__________________