Chapter 16: The Proposal

Anna's POV:

-A few days later-

The next few days were beautiful, I enjoyed being out on deck again. Jacob and I spent most of our time together, whether it was talking, or working, or just relaxing in each other's arms, it seemed just to be perfectly splendid. Occasionally, I would wonder if it all would come crashing down on us eventually, but after sharing my fears with Jacob he quickly assured me he'd do everything in his power to keep that from happening. His words reassured me enough to forget about the notion and think more about our future.

"Anna, darling, you've been sitting up here for hours, what are you thinking of?"Jacob's voice broke through my thoughts.

I smiled, turning my face to him, giving him a quick kiss, then pulled away.

"I am thinking on the subject of our future, my love," I replied.

"Oh? What of it darling?"

I looked down at the deck of Hawk's ship, "Jacob, do you love me?"

"Anna, you know I do, why are you asking this?"

"Do you intend to marry me one day?"

He gently tipped my chin towards him, I studied his face, "Anna... I was planning to wait a few more days... but I can't let you doubt my love for you," he paused. I watched as he reached into his pocket then took my hand gently. "Anna-Marie Hawkins, will you be willing to have me as a husband and be my wife?"

Tears flooded my eyes, words escaped me as I nodded, smiling as he slipped a beautiful silver ring onto my finger gently.

"I love you so much Jacob," I finally whispered, letting him wrap me in his embrace. We sat like that until the sun started setting.

"I suppose we should go down and have dinner, "I finally broke the silence. Jacob nodded, letting go of me, kissing my lips softly before climbing down from our perch. I paused, looking at my ring, the three red stone were set into the engraved silver ring, sparkling in the late sunlight. I climbed down, jumping into Jacob's arms, kissing him passionately, only to be interrupted by someone clearing his throat. I looked to the source of the interruption and blushed when I saw my Father standing there.

"I am guessing Jacob proposed then?"he asked.

I nodded, grinning quite widely as Jacob wrapped one arm around my waist.

My father smiled at us, "Well, how about ya two lovebirds join the crew for dinner?"

"Yes, we shall," Jacob replied, kissing my cheek before guiding me towards the dining room. We sat beside each other, my hand intertwined with his perfectly. I started listening to the crew's banter as I ate. I always was fascinated by the tales told by sailors, no matter how many times I've heard the tale, there always seemed to be something magical about listening to the adventures others had.

"We were sailing between the Three Islands, 'twas a perfectly clear day, then the wind picked up and a Monster storm rolled in! We raced it out and away from the Islands. We had reached open sea when the storm caught up wit' us from behind!" Hawk started the tale. "The Monster roared as it came to our rear, ready to eat us up like a measly midday meal! We shot the cannons at 'im and somehow managed to injure 'im! But the battle was far from over! He launched 'imself at the main mast attempting to break it which would render the ship useless, but we attacked 'im and injured 'im still more! After hours of battlin' 'im he finally retreated with the promise ta come back for revenge!"

The whole room was silent as Hawk finished his tale, I stared at him, feeling a deep sense of respect for my brother. He smiled at me, I found myself smiling back at him. I noticed his gaze shift to beside me, to Jacob, he nodded before standing once again, the crew slowly went quiet again.

"My fellow men! I believe Jacob has an announcement to make!"Hawk called loudly, smiling. Jacob stood and helped me up as well, wrapping his arm around my waist somewhat possessively, I found myself not minding at all.

"This afternoon, Anna, or Silver as you know her, agreed to become my wife," Jacob announced proudly, I blushed as the crew cheered.

My father stood up, his cup in hand, "a toast! To Anna and Jacob! May your coming marriage be a happy one!"

Everyone cheered, Jacob bent slightly beside me, then kissed me lightly, making me blush still more. My grin widened as the room fill with louder cheers. That was when I knew we were meant to be together....