Chapter18: Glad tidings and horrible occurances

Chapter 18:

( three weeks later)

I leaned on the railing of our ship, trying to calm my churning stomach. I couldn't understand why I was suddenly so seasick, I never got sick, much less at sea....

I turned to go below deck, a wave of dizziness hit me like a brick wall, I grabbed the railing tightly in a desperate attempt not to keel over into the sea.

"Anna? Are you alright?" Jacob asked, walking towards me. I shook my head, my knees gave way under me, dropping me to the floor. He gathered me into his arms gently, carrying me to our cabin without a word. He carefully laid me down on our bed, kissing my forehead lightly.

"I'll be back in a few minutes, alright?"

I nodded weakly then watched him walk away out of our cabin, I rolled onto my side, closing my eyes.

--------------------

Jacob's POV:

I waited for Doc to come out from Anna and I's cabin, pacing like a lion in a cage. Finally, I heard the door creak open, Doc slipped out and closed the door again. I looked at him expectantly.

"Well? Do you know whats wrong with her?" I asked, impatient and worried for my new wife's health.

" Well Captain, nothing is wrong with her, however, she is pregnant," he replied smoothly, it took a few seconds for the information to process.

"I'm going to be a father?" I mused.

"Yes Captain, congratulations," Doc smiled, then left me standing in shock.

I am going to be a father!!!

I can't believe it....

-------------------

Anna's POV:

I sighed quietly, wondering what Jacob's reaction would be to the fact we would have a child to take care of together by next summer..... After a few minutes of staring at the ceiling, I heard Jacob open the door softly, he grinned at me and pulled me into his arms. His happiness was contagious, I giggled.

" Jacob you must be gentle with me!" I chuckled as his arms loosened a bit around me.

" Sorry love, I'm just really happy," he apologized.

" I know, although you may not be so happy when you have a grumpy wife and a grumpy baby in the middle of the night."

" At least my grumpy wife and baby will be the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen," he replied, whispering into my ear.

I kissed him," you really know how to make me smile dear."

" That's all I can ask for and that I want."

I smiled up at him, then heard something that made my blood run cold: A cannon firing.

In an instant, our happy moment was shattered, a crewmember knocked urgently on our door before bursting in.

" Sir! There's a ship in hot pursuit of us!"

" Why was I not notified when it was spotted?" Jacob asked, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

'' The fog blocked our view until just now sir," he replied.

" Tell Sam and Hawk to get the crew ready, tell Hawk he may have my authority, I am staying here to protect my wife, " Jacob ordered. The crewmember nodded and disappeared.

" Jacob, I'll be fine, I can hold my own just fine, you need to be at command of your crew," I protested.

"No, I cannot lose you again, please Anna, don't protest," Jacob replied firmly, his gaze locked with mine.