Chapter 2: A Dinner and an Attack

Chapter 2: The Dinner

After an hour of thinking and remembering things about my mother, I unpacked my meagre wardrobe.

I changed into a simple black dress, then twisted my long scarlet hair into a French twist and coiled it at the base of my neck.

 As a finishing touch I slipped my locket over my head, letting it rest just at my chest.

As I was smoothing out the wrinkles in my dress, I heard a soft but firm knock on my door.

"Yes? Who is it?" I called, walking towards the door.

“‘Tis Jacob, Miss Hawkins, may I come in?"

I smiled and let him in, I still felt very small compared to him but his handsome smile made up for that.

“May I escort you to dinner?" he asked with a hand out.

I tried to hide my blush as I nodded," I would be delighted."

I slipped my hand into his, he then led me through the hallway then onto deck where a long table had been set up, I blushed as all eyes turned to me.

“What is going on?" I asked Jacob quietly.

Jacob smiled," You are the lady of this ship on this voyage, and we heard you've had a rough time lately, so we thought you might enjoy a nice dinner with the us. "

I smiled my thanks as Jacob led me to a seat near the head of the table and helped me sit.

"Thank you, so much. You have no idea how much this just cheered me up."

I smiled as many of the men smiled bashfully at my thanks.

Jacob sat down next to me then Tom sat on my other side beside the captain, whom I hadn't seen before.

He looked to be quite friendly; a smile on his face as he greeted his crew, his aging features didn't hide the fact that in his younger years he was quite handsome.

He smiled at me," I realize I haven't introduced myself, I am Captain Andrews, welcome to my ship the Midnight Queen."

“Thank you sir, I am Anna-Marie Hawkins," I introduced myself politely.

The Captain smiled warmly before hushing everyone, when everyone was silent he said grace.

After he finished, we started eating, I listened hungrily to the animated stories of fighting off pirates and braving fierce storms.

Nearing the end of dinner, the topic of the fierce pirate captain, Flint, and his infamous treasure island was raised.

“Tis all a myth!" one man exclaimed.

“Nay I have seen Flint and his crew! Fearsome men they are!"

“Then how are ye still alive? I heard tell they leave no one alive."

The argument was starting to get heated when finally the captain spoke up," this is not a topic to be discussed in front of a lady, understand? If I hear any of ye talking about Flint and his blasted treasure in front of Miss Anna, ye will suffer the consequences."

The men grumbled slightly but the subject was dropped.

I looked down at my hands, I hadn't minded the talk of pirates, I had grew up on such stories but the very thought of the pirate Flint always ran chills down my spine.

“Miss Anna, are you alright?"

I looked up, both Jacob and the captain were looking at me, I nodded.